SlingBox Player for Macintosh, Live TV anywhere with Internet?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SandersHokie, Dec 10, 2006.

1. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2006

Am I reading this correctly? I can hook this SlingBox Pro up to my HDTV DirecTV box at home, and can get DirecTV HD anywhere in America???? What am I missing? It seems too good to be true. It also says it supports Macintosh.
  2. decksnap macrumors 68040

Apr 11, 2003
    I'm sure it has its quirks. I also believe the quality of what you watch is based on the speed of your connection.
  3. kbonnel macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2004
    In a nice place..
    i have used one before

I have used the original sling (there are new models now), and it worked fine. It really is dependent on your internet connection, but I didn't notice any serious quality issues. I was in Sweden and watched the superbowl on a sling, and it was fine. It isn't DVD quality, but I dont' think it is trying to be.

I would consider getting one if I were to be traveling a lot. (i would love to control my Tivo when traveling)

4. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2006
    Basically I was getting it for when I go on trips so I can watch DirecTV at hotels and such.

Do you have to keep the DirecTV box on at home or does it automatically work without it on?

5. Tork macrumors regular

Oct 14, 2006
    When you load slingplayer on the mac, you see a virtual remote control that's an exact replica of your Direct TV remote. The slingbox comes with an IR blaster which you line up with your Direct TV box at home and, when you click a button on the virtual remote, it emits the appropriate signal (at home) to the Direct TV box. This allows the change of channels, etc. For fair picture on the road (barely read the crawl on CNN for example) 300k or so upload speed is necessary. Anything above 700k produces a very good picture, but not HD.