Slingbox

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by liamski, Feb 9, 2007.

1. liamski macrumors member

Anyone got a slingbox? If so, what's your setup in conjunction with your mac?

Is it worth the cash?

cheers

2. TechnoPagan macrumors regular

I'm actually using my Slingbox as I surf. I've had it since November. If you travel, you might end up with a lot of use. I like being able to clear off my TiVo from wherever I am--be it from the waiting room at the mechanics or from my bedroom. Unfortunately, since I have a firewall at home and a firewall at work, I can't seem to use it from work--something about double NAT or somesuch. But that's probably just as well.

Setting it up was quite easy--took me about an hour once I figured out what I was doing wrong. There's a bit of a lag--it's about a second off and I haven't quite mastered using the remote with the delay. But the picture and sound are quite clear.

Sling has already gone through three public betas of the software. There's a somewhat active forum for questions and concerns. Sling Community for Mac

Macs:
    MBP 10.4.8 (2.16GHz CD; 1GB)
    MB 10.4.8 (2 GHz C2D; 1GB)

3. bmat macrumors 6502

I like mine, even though I don't use it all that much -- primarily it's a way for me to have TV on my computer when I'm doing work in my home office (sports scores, etc.). It's nice to have access to TV anywhere in the house, and the remote access is very nice. Picture quality is good, and I found the set up to be pretty quick.

Moreover, I like the fact that it was a one-time cost, with no subsequent fees.