SlingPlayer for iPhone and iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

ElectricPig.tv claims (via 9to5) they have an "extremely senior source" at Sling Media who says that an iPhone/iPod Touch version of their SlingPlayer client software is coming.

Sling Media sells the SlingBox which allows you to stream video from your home television over the internet to any supported device (Mac, PC, Mobile Phone). A native SlingPlayer port would bring that functionality to the iPhone. Sling Media, however, is said to be worried that EDGE might not be fast enough to support their streaming media.

This rumor might have been dismissed, if not for the fact that MacRumors has also heard that SlingMedia is indeed one of the lucky developers to get an early copy of the iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK). Apple has reportedly seeded select developers with early versions of the iPhone SDK to ready some applications for the initial launch. The iPhone SDK is officially expected to be released in February 2008.

With Macworld Expo around the corner, we have heard that Apple will show new iphone software at Macworld, though this could just mean the 1.1.3 firmware that was previously leaked.

Article Link

2. macrumors 603

Rocketman

I don't currently use Sling, but likely would if available on a larger screen iPhone 2 (ATNN).

Since the point is to watch TV, most users could shift to a spot where wifi is present and would not need to rely entirely on EDGE. In fact, a docked device with video out to a full size screen would be a practical option.

Rocketman

3. macrumors 6502

As a slingbox solo and iPhone owner, this is the best news I've heard all day :D

4. macrumors regular

tothelimit

I've been putting off the purchase of a sling box for quite some time now. If this turns out to be more than just 'rumor', I'm sold.

5. macrumors 68040

elppa

But they might not have to cope with Edge after MacWorld… Who knows? If Apple gets a 3G chipset in the phone, then they can go into Italy, Spain, Australia, China etc. and be competitive.

It will also make it more competitive in existing non US markets, such as the UK, Germany and France.

6. macrumors regular

I whole-heartedly second that... I have a good feeling, though, that crappy EDGE won't be enough to make it watchable. But still, definitely the best news I've heard in a while...

7. macrumors regular

Thankyou

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou

I wonder if sling will have to update its players or if its proprietary format will be ported to ipod/iphone

8. macrumors 6502a

fastbite

Sounds great! And with the actors strike looming closer and the writer's strike still much alive, we can watch endless reruns from anywhere with a good connection.

9. macrumors newbie

That's all I need to buy a Sling Box

As an iPhone owner this is the only thing keeping me from buying a Sling Player, I hope this rumor comes into fruition.

10. macrumors 65816

displaced

Great to hear (assuming it's true!)

So let's assume this'll be made with the allegedly-to-be-released iPhone/iPod Touch SDK. What would be very, very nice would be to be able to dock the iPhone/Touch in a dock connected to the TV and use it to output the slingbox stream to the second TV. So not only would you be able to watch on your iPhone, but you'd also be able to watch on any TV just by hooking up the dock. Sweet.

11. macrumors member

I also own a slingbox and had been using it on a Treo. If this is true, it would be so awesome.

12. macrumors 68000

Daremo

I fully believe the leaked 1.1.3 is all real. What I can't understand is how it went out without a C&D. If this was to be the features shown at Macworld, this has to really upset the powers that be... Unless, and this is more wishful thinking then anything, that was a very early firmware revision, and it's only the minor additions. Tuesday should be a fun day.

13. macrumors 6502

I don't use slingbox, so I'm not sure if I'd use this, but if they actually plan to have this ready for Macworld, I'm sure it won't be the only new app. I'm hoping for a few more goodies...

14. macrumors member

b1wils1

first time i've ever seen a posting not have any negative ratings. where are all the debbie-downers?

15. macrumors regular

evilyankeefan

Wouldn't this compete with the (more than likely) iTunes rental service? If I have something on my DVR and can sling it to my iPhone/touch, what's the incentive of renting it?

Just seems that this would take away revenue for Apple. Maybe I'm over thinking this.

Cool idea though especially if you have stuff on your DVR that isn't in iTunes.

16. macrumors regular

Yuppi

Hmm, the sling website is not really informative. They try to be funny and seem to forgot to tell what the product exactly does. Could anyone enlighten me?

17. macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

There is one major problem with this. The resolution that you will be streaming it at will be made for your mobile phone, so when it is put on a tv, it would be really distorted and you wouldnt be able to see anything. Even on a laptop, with wifi, you cannot maximize the screen without getting distortion of the picture. I use slingplayer on my motorola q using the verizon network, which is faster than edge, and the picture looks great on that screen. NOW, if you were connected to the same LAN as the slingbox, you could get upwards of 3000kbps which is a pretty good picture. So, you might be able to use it in your house on a second tv, but i really wouldn't see the point in that.

18. macrumors 68020

19. macrumors member

We've got Back to my Mac right? The technology is here already, just waiting on Apple to bring it on the market (next week) ...

20. macrumors 68030

bytethese

Sweet!

Y-E-S, YES!

I've been waiting/hoping this would come true. I want a slingbox but would be more comfortable with the purchase knwing I can watch on my laptop and/or my iPhone!

Man, with all this good tech lately, I am going to be broke this year!

21. macrumors 6502

They're all too depressed about no live video streaming of the MWSF keynote...

22. macrumors newbie

I don't think the two will be competing. The slingbox is basically made to "place shift" your TV or DVR content to some other point that's connected with a slingbox client. Considering that iTunes movie rentals are most likely going to be new DVD releases, you would really have to be using a slingbox & renting movies from a service like on-demand for them to overlap.

23. macrumors regular

tothelimit

assuming apple will be using iTunes (or similar distribution method) for these 3rd applications... what kind of price tag do you think we can expect on one like this?

any thoughts on how the pricing structure might work in general for these applications? i know apple is typically big on carrying one price across the board for downloads (hence the scuffles with record labels wanting to charge a higher price for music by 'premium artists') - but I can't imagine that working here.

24. macrumors regular

Thoughts

I am not too worried about the edge drawback for 2 reasons.

First of all, this would not the be the first application on the iphone designed for wifi use only. iTunes store only works on wifi, and thats an apple app. I don't think we'd all mind if slingbox only worked on wifi. Secondly the video looked great on my Q, so i'm sure they can scale it to work on edge just fine.

oh and Seeqpod works great on edge.

25. macrumors 65816

slffl

Um, maybe because not everyone has premium movie channels on satellite or cable?