Slip up at the airport

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by virividox, Jan 25, 2004.

1. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It just goes to show that no security is 100% accurate. We depend on human vigilance.

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

thats bizzare... how did the metal detectors and wands miss all that??

4. zapp macrumors regular

zapp

They were in her purse which went thru the x-ray machine, which a human has to look at and identify weapons and such. And if they don't spot stuff on the conveyor belt it will get past. I think this is the biggest whole in the security system. It is getting better, but if you are looking at a screen for a couple hours, you will miss something. Now the big question, how many times does this happen and the person does not say anything?

5. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Yikes! That could have been bad. Luckily she didn't have malicious intent...:eek:...

Attached Files:

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Atleast it shows normal incompetance... and not a huge hole in security like the guy who mailed himself in a box did...

:p

Oh well no one hurt.

7. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Am I the only one who wouldn't have turned myself in? :) :rolleyes:

8. virividox thread starter macrumors 601

virividox

i think i would have turned myself in, wouldnt wanna risk them figuring out later on, it seems that when she did they just questioned her, so if you can keep your cool you will be okay, besides if your innocnet nothing to lie about

9. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Am I the only one wondering why she was carrying a stun gun and a knife in the first place?

10. virividox thread starter macrumors 601

virividox

protection i suppose, well the stun gun is pretty effective if used, bt it needs to be the high voltage ones, cuz the low voltage ones dont do jack, but they do tickle

but the knife could be for anything, i cary a swiss army all the time just in case i need to cut fruit, open a box, you know it comes in handy.

11. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Just wondering because it's illegal to own a stun gun here as is carrying a knife longer than a certain size without valid good reason.

12. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

They need to track when/where she passed through security and fire those inept "federal employees" responsible. No questions asked. It's called accountability.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

How about prosecuting them as well?

Remember the screener who was found asleep?

What about the screeners who didn't notice that the equipment was unplugged?

I think it's only possible that the U.S. government will prosecute students who make a point of noting security holes. :mad:

14. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

15. nickfit macrumors member

Thanatoast, of course I would have turned myself in. Not necassarily because I am good samaritan or anything, but because I would not want the heap of trouble the would come if they were found. If you turn yourself in, then it is clear it was a mistake and you are off free. If they find it, well you've got a lot of splaning to do.