Slipsteaming with a Dell Windows XP SP1 Disc

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by slackersonly, May 23, 2006.

1. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

I followed a link in one thread in this area to get to a slipstreaming article to 'update' a SP1 disc to SP2. The page seems to say that you cannot use an Windows XP disc from Dell/HP/etc.

However, I have seen a couple people here briefly mentioning that they did use a Dell disc (which is what I also have). Can anyone who has used the slipstream function to update a Dell Windows XP SP1 disc to SP2 and then used it to install Boot Camp comment on their success/problems. Thanks a bunch in advance.

2. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Illegal.

The dell disc is licensed to that dell, and that Dell only.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That is overstating it a bit, but yes it is a violation of the EULA that applies to most XP licenses that ship with a Dell or similar OEM built box. Read the EULA to be sure that it applies to yours.

You might be able to get it to work, but don't expect any support from us here.

B

4. slackersonly thread starter macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

Really? Wow. I did not know that. So I dont own a windows license, I own a dell license tied to that machine only? If the Dell dies, then the preinstalled software license(s) are dead with it?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Most likely, but don't take our word for it. Read the EULA for the preinstalled software.

In general when you buy preinstalled OEM licenses they become tied to the machine they were initially installed on. Of course there are always question about what actually constitiutes the machine when you can upgrade individual components bit by bit... CPU here, motherboard there, HDD here, new case, ...

B

6. slackersonly thread starter macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

thanks guys. i will do some research to try to understand why oem discs limit me so. (that sucks).
    didnt realize that i was about to do something that could be wrong.
    i dont want this to go down the path of all the other illegal/piracy discussion so mods please feel free to close/delete.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yup. That's why you didn't pay full retail for the Windows. If Dell hadn't cut a restricted-license deal with MS, then your machine's purchase price would have been $100-$200 more expensive.

8. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Having not read a Windows EULA in a few years, I'm not sure, but Windows 2000 did certainly have a clause in the license allowing you to transfer it.

My father's business (a solicitors) used it to allow them to move the licenses to newer, custom built machines when the Dells (somewhat predictably) gave up on life.

I'm sure that if the machine is stuffed, or you bin it, there will be a way to transfer the license to the new machine.

However, another big issue would be the protection Dell put on their OEM CDs, making it rather hard to install on another, non Dell, machine.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Retail licenses (a.k.a. Full Packaged Product) or Volume licenses (whatever they're calling them now) do allow for transfer of the license in the EULA, but not OEM licenses. As CanadaRAM points out this is why they're cheaper than the other options.

Not according to the OEM EULA, unless the "new machine" can somehow be construed to be the same machine.

This thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=193637 has links to the generic OEM license the System Builder License.

B

10. slackersonly thread starter macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

i, incorrectly, assumed that the oem discount had to do with a volume discount deal between dell and microsoft.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes. Part of the deal is that the license is non-transferable, and Dell is responsible for support, not Microsoft.

EDIT: Here's the relevant section from the EULA of my XP license on the Dell at work:

EDIT: I'm surprised I get downgrade rights!

B