Sloooooooooooooooow Browsing on my mini

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by JW8725, Jun 17, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Hello All. You might be aware that the other day I flashed my PC BIOS and killed my PC. Well Im now using my old machine (not that old, AMD 3200MHZ 64 bit 512MB RAM 250 SATA HD) and its significantly quicker at loading up web pages than my mini.

Now the PC is drugged up cos its full of spyware, trojans, crap and whatever else have u....All sorts of web hijackers and pop ups. Ive not bothered to sort it out much and i didnt expect it to quicker than my mac.

I run both the same. Both have 512 MB RAM. Both are connected via Ethernet to my cable modem. Both have a cleared cache. So what gives?

Please help. Im back on my PC! :( :( :(

2. Willy S macrumors 6502

Just get a good 64 bit Linux distro (is Mandrake 64 bit?) on your PC and you are free from the malware. :D

Ps. and sell the Mini. :D

3. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry you lost me there mate? Whats a mandrake?

4. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Mandrake is a version of the Linux operating system.

5. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok just googled it. Is it better than windows? Is it compatable with windows? Does it work on mac?

6. Willy S macrumors 6502

7. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

My favorite linux distro at the moment is ubuntu linux. Easy to install and its pretty easy to use and configure too =) Great forums too!

PS It might be because of safari. What is the problem exactly though, are the pages loading too slowly? Or is the actualy internet connection slow?

Try out the Camino Web Browser on your mini, see if thats any faster.

8. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks i'll give that camino a try! see what happens!

9. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok i'm on Camino now. HEY its significantly faster than safari. I recommend this to users of the mini who find slowdown when browsing in safari. Next thing to do is to make it look as cool as safari....hmm any ideas??

10. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Well if looks is what your worried about, Camino and Firefox use the same rendering engine. So Try out Firefox then and get some of the themes from the firefox website =)

I like camino more though because its less of a memory hog. But with 512mb ram you should be fine!(I only have 256mb ram on my ibook)

11. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

As someone else advised you, first thing to do is get Firefox. Then, you should install the following plugins:
    -Adblock
    -Flash Block
    They have been godsends to me and my 12" PB G4 rev.C, specially when browsing in pages full of animated flash adds (those things used to hog almost all of my CPU in some pages!).
    Oh, and there's an aluminum skin for firefox, that makes it look very close to Safari.

12. Tilmitt macrumors member

Lol i'm the opposite as soon as my PowerBook arrives I'm downloading Camino cause I think Safari is ugly and Camino is pretty. Strange.