slot loading drives and mini-cd's

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by optijaz, Oct 22, 2003.

1. optijaz macrumors member

Now that the G4 iBook also has a slot loading system, I was wondering can the slot load drive take the 8cm mini-cd's?

I use the mini-CD-RW's a lot for transfering files around (quicker to erase & re-write to) and I'm just wondering if these can be used with slot loading drives?

2. Fall macrumors member

Why not jam one in there and see.

Or read your manual. DON'T TRY IT.

3. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

Might have to get an external USB CD-RW drive for that.

4. Icekey macrumors member

I remember when I first bought the pioneer slot loading DVD player that I tried that, and I believe it worked... well kind of. You could only get a tiny bit ejected, thus having to carfully pull it out. With the new slot loading ones like the ones in a powerbook I don't think you can cause it goes chachink. I wouldn't risk it

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'd say it would be an exceedingly bad idea to try it. Yes, there's a chance it might work, but the mechanics don't look like it to me, Apple tells you not to, and you could end up damaging your CD, getting the thing stuck in the drive, or breaking the drive entirely.

That said, I once saw a funky plastic attachment that would sort of clip on to a 5cm CD to make it the same size as a 12cm disc. It was in a Software Etc, so I'm assuming it was designed for game machines, but at least theoretically it would work with a slot-loading Mac. Still sounds dangerous to me, particularly if the spin rate is high, but if you're desperate it seems like you'd be better off trying one of those if you can find one.

6. jonapete2001 macrumors regular

Go to an apple store or even better best buy and try it on one of their machines.

7. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I have a slot loading iMac, and they have always worked really well. It ejects them as far as a regular CD. Laptop drives might be different though.....:confused:

8. Fall macrumors member

Repeatedly.

9. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Well... i have a slot loading CD player in my car, and i find the Mini CD's to load well, and eject without problems aswell... No i know this isn't a compuer drive, but same idea.