Slot loading DVD-R drive

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by encode_dvd, May 20, 2003.

1. encode_dvd macrumors newbie

Greetings all. Any news if Apple will update the slot loading DVD-R/CD-R drive in the laptops to something faster than 1x speed burning speed for DVD-R?

It's sad that the new Pioneer 106 drive has been announced for the desktop units but the laptops live in the past with 1x DVD-R burning. :(

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Notebook DVD burners will always lag behind desktop DVD burners. That's just the nature of the beast.

However, Apple's DVD burners will lag behing standard notebook DVD burners because Apple insists on using slot loading drives.

The Powerbook will get 2x DVD-R's when other notebooks get 4/6x DVD-RWs and desktops are at 16x.

3. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I think the next redesign of the PowerBook might see the end of slot loading optical drives. Apple just has to realize, that while slot loading is cool, it is simply less efficent. I hopt they go to tray loading at least. But they probably won't. :(

4. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

how is it less eficiant?

5. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Yeah, slot loading is the wrong idea, but I think that the superdrive in the powerbook is limited to 1X becuase if the size of it (thiness). I haven't read of any other notebooks even having a dvd burner in them, but I am sure that they are out there. I don't know about the drives being less effienct, but DVDs that I have burned on a friends 15" PB had problems playing on some DVD players, while from my 2X superdive they just fine on the same DVD player. I used the same media and I even burned the disk at 1x speed on my tower and tower disk still worked fine. Maybe it was just my friends superdrive or me, but I didn't like the outcome when burning on a PB superdrive. But hey, its still pretty convient taking a PB like that on the road and burning a DVD whenever.

6. vniow macrumors G4

I happen to prefer slot-loading, especially on a notebook, when you're carrying an expensive thing like that around and it has a tray-loading optical drive, its easier for it to break off, with slot-loading all the mechanisms are internal so there's less of a chance of accidentally damaging the drive.

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Slot loading optical drives are less efficient in that tray loading ones will always be faster. When 2x slot loading DVDs become available, the tray loading ones will be at 4x or so.

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Actually, I thought that 2x slot-loading DVD-burners weren't available yet (or at least at a reasonable price). The issue regarding the thinness of the Powerbook was that they had to remove the RW laser from the drive so that the SuperDrive on the PowerBook is only a DVD-R.

9. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

The Mat****a UJ-815 DVD-R in the new Powerbooks will do 2x DVD-R, 2x DVD-RAM, 1x DVD-RW, 16x CD-R, 4x CD-RW.

Apple use their own firmware to limit the speed and as such reduce the heat generated by the drive in such a thin case (and no DVD-RW etc because they stupidly don't support the format)

Edit: Censoring Matshita that really is ludicrous.

10. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

This is what I heard about the PowerBook's SuperDrives. Apple had to remove the laser (or use a different one) that enables DVD-RW to be read/written because the casing was too thin. So even though the drive can't do DVD-RW no matter what.

This is unlike the PowerMacs SuperDrives which can do DVD-RW even though Apple doesn't officially support it. The drive is physically capable of using DVD-RW, even with the standard Jaguar apps.

In regards to the speed reduction, I'll take your word for it.

11. pfranzen macrumors member

noooo....

dont take away my slot loading drive...

Its sleek :)

And my towers are better for DVD authoring...

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Well that's not totally true as the 17PB can in fact at least reburn DVD-RWs.

This is from Xlr8yourmac.com

13. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

If i remember right when the 17 was announced it was advertised as being 2x. Apple apparently had problems burning at 2x while the computer was moving, so its limited to 1x in the firmware.

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

That was the unofficial story but I don't think there was ever confirmation from Apple.

I think that it has to do with movement and heat. I don't know why people are complaining. The last time I checked only Toshiba and Sony had DVD burners in there laptops and I don't know about now but when Sony released there's you could only burn while plugged in to a wall you couldn't do it from battery. I don't know about the requirements of the Toshiba but I know that all the current laptops with DVD burners can only burn at 1x also.

15. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

I type on my 15" with my right hand resting right on top of the DVDR slot. I can atest that after copying 4 cds it can get pretty hot (remember that copying required a dmg to be created first). Also is it just me or does the casing vibrate when playing music volume=max?