Slotload iMac with ghosting on screen

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wesli_1, Jun 4, 2004.

1. wesli_1 macrumors member

I have been given an old slot-load (350/20G/128Mb) iMac, which works perfectly apart from the screen.

The image on the screen appears to be ghosting (similar to on an analogue TV set), and I think it may be caused by incorrect synchronization of the video signal going into the CRT. The entire picture also has a heavy blue tinge to it, and the picture does not extend to the left & right sides of the screen (ie there are black borders on either side of the screen, about 2-3cm wide.)

any ideas?

Cheers :)

2. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Are the symptoms, Bright washed out display, Sides of display contracting inwards. Is there a bright narrow vertical band along the middle of the screen? does the image "wobble" when the HDD or optical drive are being accessed?

If so, it sounds like you have a failing Power Analogue Video Board (PAV) that will need to be replaced.

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Sounds like PAV board symptoms to me, have a tech look at it, it will probably require a new PAV board which can run from $100-$200. Sometimes it can be your CRT tube, but it is usually the PAV.

4. wesli_1 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, the symptoms were similar to those. But guess what? I switched it on again this morning, and the symptoms were gone! I have switched it on and off a few times, and it has still been running fine. Might have been dry joints on the PAV board or something.

Thanks for your help guys :)