Slow 5g iPod interface/clicking harddrive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by playm0de, Oct 16, 2006.

1. playm0de macrumors member

I purchased a new 30 gig 5th gen iPod about 3 weeks ago. When changing between songs it is extremely laggy, more so than my 4th gen black and white iPod. Any ideas how to fix it?

Also, whenever it is plugged into my computer, the harddrive clicks. Not sure if this is normal...?

Thanks in advance.

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Resetting it usually gets rid of the lag. (Menu + Select button)

Mine clicks occasionally, but it hasn't died or anything, so I wouldn't be too worried. But uh, have another backup of your music just in case. ;)

Oh, mine usually clicks after I use it when unplugging it from the computer. It pauses, clicks, and then works fine.

3. playm0de thread starter macrumors member

Is resetting the same as restoring? If not how do I reset it?

4. Batman Sucks macrumors newbie

Batman Sucks

does it click when you disconnect? or is it during file transfer or time when the drive is being written too/used?

could be a bum hard drive in your ipod.

that would also explain the lagging.

5. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

No. Resetting does not change any of your settings and does not erase your music. Simultaneously hold down the Select button (center button) + Menu for a couple of seconds, and it will reset. You might have to do it twice.

If that doesn't fix the lag, then it might have a bad drive. However, you'll have to Restore (deletes your music) it to really know. If you don't restore it, Apple will. That's the first thing they do when they check your iPod!

6. jTreu macrumors 6502

mine clicked a lot before the drive died, it might be a bad one.

7. playm0de thread starter macrumors member

Im beginning to think the hard drive is bad. It "warms up" like the fans are going, and then "clunks." Here is the dilemna...I bought it at circuit city and bought an $80 warranty. This was near 3 weeks ago...I dont want to take it to circuit city and then get a new iPod (cancelling out the warranty). If i take it to apple and they give me a new one, the serial number would be different from the one on the warranty slip. What should I do?

8. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Call Circuit City and ask. Then call Apple and ask. Find out if the warranty that you bought is effected by using the built-in one year warranty by exchanging at an Apple store.

But I will say that the iPod comes with a one-year warranty that Apple will honor. Perhaps Circuit City will also honor that. Your getting an exchange on the iPod at Circuit City should have no bearing on the extended warranty you bought. That does not even go into effect until after the one-year period. The extended warranty should automatically transfer to the new iPod that Circuit City would give you in the event that they exchange it.