Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hootansharifian

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 25, 2014
Hi!
I bought an Airport Express for almost 2 months ago, but last week I upgraded my internet from 100 to 250 mbit and I only can get around 70-80 on AirPort Express. I changed the router to the one I got from my Internet provider and now I can easily get over 230 mbit up. When I bought the AirPort Express (not from  store) the guy who helped me find it said that it can support up to 300 mbit, is it true? If yes, what am I doing wrong?

More information:
  • My router is on my desk, 1-2 meters from my computer so it's very close
  • I have to separate lines, one for 5ghz and one for 2,4ghz however the speed is almost the same on both of them
  • I have opened to ports on the AirPort Express for my home cloud server

Hilbert92

macrumors member
May 21, 2015
Ohio
Hi!
I bought an Airport Express for almost 2 months ago, but last week I upgraded my internet from 100 to 250 mbit and I only can get around 70-80 on AirPort Express. I changed the router to the one I got from my Internet provider and now I can easily get over 230 mbit up. When I bought the AirPort Express (not from  store) the guy who helped me find it said that it can support up to 300 mbit, is it true? If yes, what am I doing wrong?

More information:
  • My router is on my desk, 1-2 meters from my computer so it's very close
  • I have to separate lines, one for 5ghz and one for 2,4ghz however the speed is almost the same on both of them
  • I have opened to ports on the AirPort Express for my home cloud server
The AirPort express Ethernet ports are only 10/100mbps ports. the max you will ever see through the ports is 100mbps

You can buy a AirPort Extreme refurbished from Apple for around $129.99USD. These have all gigabit Ethernet port good up to 1000mbps

Last edited:
Reactions: hootansharifian

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
300 is reasonable to expect from its Wi-Fi. However that is for the local network, not Intermet access as it has to go through the ethernet port to the router.

Reactions: hootansharifian

Hilbert92

macrumors member
May 21, 2015
Ohio
300 is reasonable to expect from its Wi-Fi. However that is for the local network, not Intermet access as it has to go through the ethernet port to the router.
True. The 300mpbs internal network speed would be for file transfers between devices. But the speed coming from the ISP may be 100mbps + but you will only see 100mbps or lower due to the RJ-45 ports on the express being 10/100 ports

Get and AirPort Extreme and call it a day.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.