Slow Airport Extreme BS

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by kenaer, Mar 2, 2004.

1. kenaer macrumors newbie

Feb 16, 2004
    Why is my AEBS so slow??

I have a brand new AEBS connected to Comcast (2Mbps) but I am only receiving in the range of 90-150kbps from the AE. This sucks. Wierd thing is my upload is in the range of 250-300kbps which i think is normal for a cable modem, correct me if i'm wrong. I have all the lastest updates and firmwares. And it's not Comcast because I am online typing this rated at just under 2Mbps. What gives? Bad BS?

Also, I double checked the chance of the problem being my iBook by connecting to the BS through my roomates DELL (54Mbps card) and I was rated at 91kbps. No luck there.

I also am running at nearly full signal (5 bars from full) so I'm pretty sure interference isnt the problem.

This iBook is sweet as hell but the whole point of buying a laptop was to be wireless in the house.
  2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Yes Comcast is rated at 2MB for its speed but you will RARELY EVER achieve that speed, yes the computer will say its connected at 2MB but I have a friend who's computer says he is connected at 56kb on a 56k modem. The 2MB is its potential, on a good day from a good website you will get 100k to 200k. On Apple sometimes on downloads I have averaged 500k, but only on a good day. I have Comcast as well, it all depends on how many people are using the cable connection in your neighborhood. AE can only send as much bandwidth as it receives, 100k is very good on a normal day, it all depends on the above factors.
  3. photohead macrumors member

Mar 14, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    HE said it all basically....I am supposed to be pulling in 1.5 but only get 1.1 to 1.2...max...on an average day...I have two base stations hooked up with WDS...

4. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    Same situation here. I have the original ABS with two computers connected, never have I gotten the 2Mbps that comcast boasts. Even when I was directly connected, before my ABS, did I ever get the 1.5Mbps. My ABS connection is always 100%, full bars. I personally feel that comcast's upgrade to 2Mpbs was lame, should have been more, we pay enough for it. I would say that the one service that works amazing is apples iTunes, wicked fast downloads!
  5. kenaer thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 16, 2004
    I think everyone that has a cable modem knows that the 2Mbps isnt reality. I was quoting what the bb testing sites like dslreports and cnet quote your speed. I said i was getting 91k-150k quotes which in reality is somewhere around 10k/sec.

I dont quite have a solid full signal, lucky you. Ive heard some people have been given a 3Mbps hookup. Hopefully they give it to everyone else and add on another 2 just to say thanks. ;)