Slow boot-up times on brand new Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by banned0width, Feb 18, 2007.

1. banned0width macrumors newbie

So I just ordered my first Mac, the basic Intel Mac Mini. The very first thing I did (besides making sure it worked) was to upgrade the CPU, RAM, and HDD. What I did was swap all the parts out with my laptop. I put in a T5600, 1gb of DDR2 667 ram, and a 160gb 5400rpm hdd.

I reinstalled OS X and everything works fine but the boot-ups are slow as hell. The part where you see the gray apple takes 1+ mins just to get past. The actual login part is very fast, about 7 seconds.

I see all these vids on youtube of macs booting in ~20 seconds. What gives?

-Nick

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Sorry I don't have a solution, but my 20" Core 2 Duo iMac has developed very long gray-screen stalls at bootup as well. Once it gets past that it's very fast. I would love to know what's causing it also.

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Same here! I thought I was alone. I hope leopard fixes it.

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Hey, my friend who has the problem said he went on another forum and one guy said he needs to change his "streaming tab speed" and then to restart iChat. Anyone know how to do this?

EDIT: Whoops, wrong thread. Ignore this post

5. nitynate macrumors 6502a

6. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Did you have a Boot Camp partition, perhaps one you got rid of? Maybe there's no specific Startup Disk specified on your system. If you reselect your OS X installation in the Startup Disk part of System Preferences, does the slow boot problem resolve itself?