Slow Browsing on Macs

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by West of House, Aug 28, 2005.

1. West of House macrumors newbie

So, I have a Mac Mini and an old iMac G4 that both browse the web significantly slower than the PCs on my home network. Has anyone else ever experienced this? The different is at least 500% when loading pages. When I tried out the same Mac Mini in the Apple Store, it loaded pages lickety split, which leads me to believe it's some sort of network issue. Any ideas?

I want to love my new Mac! :)

2. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

How are you connected to your home network, and what type/speed is your internet connection?

3. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I use safari along with an app called safarispeed. makes a big difference for me. most pages fully render in 2 sec or so with these 2 apps and a 2.5mbit adsl.

try it out:
    http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/15704

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Many people around here argue that browsing is indeed faster on PCs and I find this true to an extent, but only sites that are obviously set up for Internet Explorer and then the competition isn't so much between PC and Mac but rather IE and every other browser in the world.

The Macs shouldn't be 500% slower, I think it's more likely to be a network problem so please explain how you connect to the internet from both the PCs and the Macs. :)

5. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Wow, I installed that SafariSpeed thing and it seems to have made a pretty noticable difference in speed for me. Thanks for posting it! :)

6. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

Just to be clear, does the app have to be open while browsing?

7. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

WOW! Thanks! Safari is sooo fast now on my Mac. I gotta put this on my iBook too! :D

8. West of House thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sharing a cable connection among two PCs and two Macs (Linksys router, 10/100). To be more clear, there's no real problem display the page, the main problem appears to be that the computer takes an extremely long time during the "Contacting" phase of loading a page.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In that case, you'll probably enjoy the SafariSpeed link. AFAIK, Safari likes to wait until the whole page is downloaded before displaying so it is actually set to not load immediately. SafariSpeed gets around this and displays pages as they are downloaded. :)

10. tikibangout macrumors regular

tikibangout

I'm running an iBook on a network with two PCs, and the only time I find it slower than normal is when all three are running at once, heavily.

11. aznsal612 macrumors member

Or...if you want to avoid running programs just to maintain your system (a la windoze), you could open up terminal and paste in:

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay -float 0.25

Which changes the delay from 1 to .25

To stop the cookies or the favicons from saving up, just write protect your icons folder in the library, and it won't save it in there.

Whew, there ya go. :)

12. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

SafariSpeed made not one tiny bit of difference on my PB. Every page that loaded nearly instantaneously continued to do so, and every page that took 1-2 seconds continued to do so as well. :rolleyes:

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't bother with it either. I think the biggest effect of it is probably placebo-based, but shh, don't tell the people who use it. ;)

Oh, and thanks for the tip aznsal612.

14. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I actually think browsing the web is faster on my Mac than my PC. Then again, I am using a dial-up connection. :rolleyes: :mad:

15. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

no. its a one time patch but its good to keep it around if you want to undo the changes or use the other options it has.

some think safarispeed just makes pages seem to load faster but it truly does. I have noticed a big diff. using it with safari 2 in tiger.

16. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I tried it, I think it helped a little, but no huge improvement. The biggest different is hitting the "Back" button.

17. West of House thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried it out and it didn't make a visible difference in my browsing speed. I think, probably because my computer isn't having trouble displaying the page as it's loading/after it's loading, but it just takes forever to "contact" a server.

I tried pinging my router, and the speed was roughly comparable on my Macs as on my PCs, so I don't think the router is the issue.

18. West of House thread starter macrumors newbie

As a further update, someone suggested I try going to websites by IP address instead of domain name (bypassing DNS lookup), and I found that this is very quick. So, it would seem that there's something wrong with my DNS setup? Does that sound reasonable?

And, if that is the problem, how can I even go about trying to fix it?

19. West of House thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I tried connecting my Mac directly into my cable modem, and the problem appeared to go away intermittently. Going back to the router, it came right back again, so it seems like maybe my router is at fault. Linksys's customer service was worthless ("We have limited Mac support.") so I'm at a loss now. Maybe I just need to switch everything to Airport. ;)

I'm more or less at square one... For some reason, my Mac is taking forever to resolve domain names. Bizarre.

20. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom