Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eXan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
CD->AAC128kbps

It starts at 5x and slowly goes up. Sometimes up to 14x+, but very rarely. Usually stays at under 7x. Whats up? Is it the drive that slows everything down, or is it the processor (highly doubt it)? I ckecked Activity Monitor, it says that CPU is 100% loaded, yet when converting AIFFs from HD to AAC128, the speed is 25x. :confused:

ANY help would be appreciated, cuz im really confused :rolleyes:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
When importing Aiffs there's no real conversion, just copying... so you should experience a fair amount of slowdown when ripping to AAC, because your computer has to encode the new format... :)

Two possible issues springs to mind, if the slowdown is too severe, though: CDs that are scratched/dirty and/or CDs with different copy protection schemes tend to slow down ripping speeds noticeably, especially if you have Error Correction enabled in iTunes preferences -> Advanced -> Importing.

eXan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
When importing Aiffs there's no real conversion, just copying... so you should experience a fair amount of slowdown when ripping to AAC, because your computer has to encode the new format... :)

Two possible issues springs to mind, if the slowdown is too severe, though: CDs that are scratched/dirty and/or CDs with different copy protection schemes tend to slow down ripping speeds noticeably, especially if you have Error Correction enabled in iTunes preferences -> Advanced -> Importing.

No, I do not have EC enabled and CDs seem to be clean and not scratched (new).

I didn't say anything about importing AIFFs, I mentioned conversion of AIFFs that are already in iTunes' library to AAC 128 kbps format, it runs at 25x, while conversion of CDs to AAC runs at 5x-14x (as I said, it averages at 6-7)

Any help :confused: ?

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
importing for me varies immensly, some cd's import at about 17x, while others struggle to reach 8x. I always assumed that it was down to the cd, but i could be wrong

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
student_trap said:
importing for me varies immensly, some cd's import at about 17x, while others struggle to reach 8x. I always assumed that it was down to the cd, but i could be wrong

Same thing happens to me, I've seen some CD's rip at above 20x with my G5 but some struggle to go into double figures....I always put this down to the CD itself.

ShadoW

Angelus520

macrumors regular
May 22, 2003
Chicago
Try using an external CD or DVD FireWire drive. I noticed a huge speed improvement when I used either of those versus a slot-load drive. Not sure why there's a difference but you'll notice it.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Angelus520 said:
Try using an external CD or DVD FireWire drive. I noticed a huge speed improvement when I used either of those versus a slot-load drive. Not sure why there's a difference but you'll notice it.

Thats very true, I usually can't be bothered but when i use my external lacie superdrive the ripping speeds are far higher than with the superdrive,

ShadOW

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
never really that fast

my itunes on either my g5 or g4 rips between 8 and 14xs.

a friend once complained that musicmatch ripped it at like 20x or something really fast.

i think itunes is really just average at it. i don't think it would have anything to do with the cpu speed or anything..maybe the cd/dvd drive. i think it's just itunes.

i could care less really. it's nuts when you think about it. compared to the old way before digital files...even if a CD takes 10 minutes to rip...who cares? it's in a portable digital format?

eXan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I guess this is a popolar issue. Maybe this is not even an issue, but still its really sad :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.