Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Hello!

I've been noticing the following issue:

When I try to copy some files to my USB3 drive, all is well...until it starts slowing down and stays that way.

At first, copying all files is very fast
After a while, try to copy another 5GB file-takes 100 times more time. It basically seems almost stuck.
It doesn't get better, unless I try the next day. Normal copy, then starts getting slower.
It seems like some buffer has been filled and makes using USB drives impossible.

Anyone knows what may be causing this? And how to solve?

Mac Mini, Mavericks, 8GB.
It happens in 2 (different brand and size) external USB drives I have. They both have many files, but are around 40% empty.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Last edited:

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Since you see the problem using 2 different USB drives then it could be the USB cable (if you are using the same cable, try a different cable), USB port (try a different USB port), or the Mac mini internal drive (check the mini internal drive).

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Since you see the problem using 2 different USB drives then it could be the USB cable (if you are using the same cable, try a different cable), USB port (try a different USB port), or the Mac mini internal drive (check the mini internal drive).

Thanks for the reply!
The only thing in common with the (problem) USB drives is they were formatted with "Case Sensitive". Could this cause such an issue?
I'm using a USB hub, which may be the issue, too. I'll try again without the hub soon, see if it improves.
I think I tried that, but it was after the issue occurred (same session-that is, when copying started to slow, I plugged the drive in the MacMini as opposed to doing it before trying to copy anything after rebooting).
I don't think the actual USB drives are the problem, since they seem to work fine with my WDTV Live.

Will report back. Thanks again!

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Removed the USB hub and plugged the USB drive directly to the MacMini.
So far, everything seems to be working fine!
The hub must be damaged, since it worked normally before.

The really weird thing is the way the issue only started AFTER a few files were copied.
Anyway, it's working.
Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.