Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oimel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
Hi guys,

I'm stuck with the following problem:

1)
Loading some pages like icloud.com or paypal.com is painfully slow on Safari (6.0.5). The progress bar stops half way while loading. After quite a while (30 seconds) the website appears.
On the other side these websites are super fast (almost instantly) with Firefox and Chrome.

2)
Itunes Store is very slow as well. The progress bar stops half way for quite a while, but the store appears after about 20 - 40 seconds. Sometimes images or the layout is broken.

3) Same issue with the App Store. Very slow first loading time, but once the content appears navigating through the store is quite fast (sometimes)

Now this happens on my Macbook Pro with 10.7 as well as on my new Mac Mini with 10.8.4.
All these problems are NOT existent on my old Mac Mini with 10.4, as well as on my Windows 7 (with Safari and iTunes) laptop.

What I did so far:
- As often recommended I used Google public DNS and OpenDNS settings on my mac and/or my Asus N56 router — didn't solve the problem
- Updated router firmware as well as OS
- No Firewall, Proxy or Anti-Virus App is running
- Connected Mac Mini directly to Internet modem without router — didn't solve the problem

I'm out of ideas, so maybe one of you guys know an answer.
Thanks a lot.
Oimel

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Bump because I am having the same issue. Running a mid-2011 MacBook Air with 4Gb RAM and all software up to date.

Safari has been running extremely slow for me the past two months or so. Like the OP stated, it starts to load, then seems to stop for a significant amount of time before the page loads. I know it is not a network issue, as my iPad loads pages instantly. Also, running Windows 8 under bootcamp and Internet Explorer loads pages instantly.

I started crying when I had to run Windows on my Mac instead of OS X just to get on the internet. :'-(

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Did you go through Safari's 'Reset Safari' and deleted Internet cache and clear cookies? A lot of times this works. Plus go into Safari's Preferences, Extensions and Update all your Plugins.

oimel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
Thanks satcomer, I did all of that already. No difference.

Anybody with other ideas?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Test you web connection at SpeedTest.net with the different browsers.

Also on you Mac go into System Preferences->Network pane and at the top of the pane click on the 'Location' drop-down item. In the drop-down click on the 'Edit Location'. In the pop-up click on the + symbol to add a custom named Location (like Home, School, Work, etc.). Make sure you click the Done and the main 'Apply' to completely save you new Location. Then go back into system Preferences-Network pane and rejoin you network.

Lastly reset your Main router to see if that speeds things up. Good Luck.

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Satcomer,

I tried all that to no avail. I know it's not the router or the network, because I cans ITT here on my ipad and the pages load instantly. It's not the hardware of my laptop, because I can load windows in boot camp and it loads the same web pages just fine.

It is so bad, I actually have to use windows now most of the time I am on my MacBook Air for school. :-(

AztekGod

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2013
Same issue

I did a clean install to start all over thinking that it was something I installed and I am still having the same issue... I didn't install anything at all...

evolutionairy

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'm having the same issues you were

Hi there -

Did you ever resolve this issue? It seems to be happening to me right now.

I've tried all you've mentioned, what others have suggested, changed the channels on my modem, reset the modem to factory defaults, tore down my MBP, got rid of Firefox and Chrome, (+ so much more...) all to no avail.

Other than the internet, my MBP runs perfectly.

Have you come across anything that helped?

Thanks!
Amy

Hi guys,

I'm stuck with the following problem:

1)
Loading some pages like icloud.com or paypal.com is painfully slow on Safari (6.0.5). The progress bar stops half way while loading. After quite a while (30 seconds) the website appears.
On the other side these websites are super fast (almost instantly) with Firefox and Chrome.

2)
Itunes Store is very slow as well. The progress bar stops half way for quite a while, but the store appears after about 20 - 40 seconds. Sometimes images or the layout is broken.

3) Same issue with the App Store. Very slow first loading time, but once the content appears navigating through the store is quite fast (sometimes)

Now this happens on my Macbook Pro with 10.7 as well as on my new Mac Mini with 10.8.4.
All these problems are NOT existent on my old Mac Mini with 10.4, as well as on my Windows 7 (with Safari and iTunes) laptop.

What I did so far:
- As often recommended I used Google public DNS and OpenDNS settings on my mac and/or my Asus N56 router — didn't solve the problem
- Updated router firmware as well as OS
- No Firewall, Proxy or Anti-Virus App is running
- Connected Mac Mini directly to Internet modem without router — didn't solve the problem

I'm out of ideas, so maybe one of you guys know an answer.
Thanks a lot.
Oimel

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Hi there -

Did you ever resolve this issue? It seems to be happening to me right now.

I've tried all you've mentioned, what others have suggested, changed the channels on my modem, reset the modem to factory defaults, tore down my MBP, got rid of Firefox and Chrome, (+ so much more...) all to no avail.

Other than the internet, my MBP runs perfectly.

Have you come across anything that helped?

Thanks!
Amy

I haven't resolved this. If I use Firefox, the websites load instantly. If I use Safari, the same websites take 30-45 seconds. Nothing I have done has worked.

oimel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
Same here. Problem still remains and none of the updates have solved it. I can use a different browser, but using the App/iTunes store is just annoying.

Last edited:

udo327

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
Same here. The problem is very annoying.
Load time just is awefull. It loads and toen see,S to stop loding. After X seconds the website Appears.

I now use Chrome, it works fine. But it rather use safari. :(

Latest update dient resolve the problem btw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.