Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Hi all,
yes, I still (have to) use a Floppy Drive and it is an external one, USB, and it had some OS 9 drivers with it. OS X now supports access to it, but copying and such (don´t even think about formatting!) is DOG SLOW!!!

It just took me over 5 Minutes to copy 980 kb Data!

Why is that so slow? Is there a patch or anything?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
similar with zip

i've had a similar problem with the zip 250 drive in my quicksilver machine. when using a zip 100 disk in the 250 drive, i have ridiculously slow speeds. however, my problem exists for both os 9 and X. supposedly the 250 disks won't do this, but i haven't actually tried one yet. odd scenarios in both cases i'd say

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
There's a reason we don't use floppies anymore.... ;)

Well, it shouldn't take THAT long... What kind of floppydrive do you have? VST, LaCie or another? I have tried a LaCie drive on a QuickSilver, and the speed is quite OK. Half a meg in 20+ secs...

Stike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Those times I mentioned are no joke :(
I´ve thrown the package away, and on the drive itself... well... FC or something.. wait, theres something else.. can´t hardly read it.. it says MADE IN CHINA ;)

Nope, I don´t know. It came along with many colors to chose to fit to the iMac, half rounded colored exchangeable tops, and the rest of the case is iMac grey (even with the strpes in it)

Did well on OS 9 tho :(

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
sounds like a Teac drive. don't ask me how I know this. I don't own one.

-Pete

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
My advice...

If you have to use a floppy drive the only one to go with is the Imation Super Disk Drive. I got mine over a year ago and it is very fast in either OS 9.2 or OS X 10.1.2. It reads and writes both 1.44MB floppys and 120MB Super Disks. It is USB and it is actually fast enough to play an MP3 off of it in Quicktime without a hickup. I have pulled a few hundred files off of a Super Disk unto the HD in a matter of 30 seconds. Even a full 120MB will load or unload in about a minute. The 1.44 MB floppys work just as well...a second here and a second there files are on and off. I wonder if anyone else has this drive? I think it is a lot faster then even external Zip drives and what is nice is it is compatible with 2 different types of disks...just my 2 cents....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.