Slow HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChitownE, Mar 15, 2007.

1. ChitownE macrumors newbie

Jan 31, 2005
    Hey all,

I've got a MacBook Pro with 2 GB RAM and a 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD. I've been using SuperDuper to backup my disk to an external HDD, and feel like things are running much slower than they should be. The external is a LaCie Mobile (Porche design) USB 2.0 drive. SuperDuper is showing copy speeds of about 7 MB/s, and it started much slower - around 3 MB/s. So, it took about 2.5 hours to copy my internal HDD to the external. Is this reasonable? Am I asking too much from my MBP?? Just want to see if I should start poking around for disk issues.

~ Eric
  2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
    If your external drive features Firewire (regardless whether it's 400 or 800) that would be a faster choice.
  3. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2006
    how much gigs did you backup? try CarbonCopyCloner (there's a beta that should work with intel macs) to see if it's faster.
  4. e12a macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2006
    I second the use of Firewire. Backed up to my firewire 400 enclosure and SuperDuper! read speeds of 13 mb/s when i left the computer alone.
  5. ChitownE thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 31, 2005
    no firewire

It's only USB 2.0, unfortunately. So, what I'm hearing, though, is that MB/s isn't all that slow? Doesn't look like there's a problem with my internal HDD?

~ E
  6. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Well that's probably your issue. I think the USB is limiting your transfer speed, not the hardrive.
  7. blackscooby macrumors 6502

May 12, 2005
    Cheshire, UK
    I use SuperDuper to backup to my USB2 WD external drive. Yes it does appear quite slow on mine too but I guessed it was the USB performance and not the drive itself.

However I do boot from the USB device and that works perfectly ! It might be slightly slower but often it's barely noticeable.
  8. slffl macrumors 65816

Mar 5, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I've been using SuperDuper for quite some time now, and it's always been slow backing up my 60GB powerbook over FW800. Takes a good 4 hours.
  9. kolax macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2007
    I can only get about 2-5 MB/s with my ex.HDD on USB 2.0 and with FireWire 800 get about 12MB/s.

Pretty crap :confused:
  10. netguy macrumors newbie

Mar 3, 2007
    I copy 600GB of data from one external fw800 device to an identical one, and it does about 3GB a minute. No additional software needed. Just run it once a week, when I am leaving the house, and I am good to go.