Slow iBook

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by bondipete, Jan 19, 2003.

1. bondipete macrumors member

I have an iBook G3 366, Clamshell, Graphite, 196MB RAM.
    And ever since I installed Jaguar on it it's been slowing down.
    It's not a huge problem, but it's the sort of thing I would have addressed in OS9 by rebuilding (not an option - this is an X only system).
    Any ideas anyone?
    I've run a fsck -y and it didn't make that much difference.
    It's got to the point that sometimes it thinks for 5 secs or so before opening my HD.
    Any support would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. dricci macrumors 6502a

Has it _always_ been this slow? If so, you probably need more ram. However, I've run Jaguar on a 266MHz iMac with 160MB ram and it works fine, so it may be something else.

Do you have any third party utilities installed, or things that run in the background?

Also, try running your Disk Utility and Repairing Permissions on your main drive.

3. bondipete thread starter macrumors member

It only got slow recently
    I have Stickies in the background, but that shouldn't make a difference. Should it?
    As for repairing permissions. How?

I'm impressed. How do you think it would go on a 233 iMac if I loaded it up with RAM?

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I had a 233 iMac 320 Ram. It was ehh-useable in OS 9.

In OS X, very, very slow. I'm guessing all the graphical stuff, but also it is slow.

5. bondipete thread starter macrumors member

Fair enough. I'll stick with OS9. At the moment, 9 on the 233 runs noticeably faster than X on the 366.
    Go figure.

6. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Do you run classic while your iBook is on?

If so ....DON'T. then see if it runs faster. Also, if you don't have a lot of free space on your HD that could slow it down a bit

7. bondipete thread starter macrumors member

No, no classic. It's an X only machine.
    I'll try deleting some stuff off the HD.
    Could someone please tell me how to fix permissions?

thanks everyone

8. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Go to the Disk Utility application (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility) and select the tab labeled "First Aid." Choose your drive from the sidebar that is left of the window. Now click "Repair Permissions."

Dan

9. Macette macrumors 6502

dear bondipete,

i hope your clamshell is better soon. give it my love.

x

10. bondipete thread starter macrumors member

thanks to everyone

thanks everyone for all your help
    i'll have a play (with my iBook) and see if I can't get it up and running like the day it came out of the box.

11. datalok macrumors member

use shadowkiller to remove shadows from the Jag windows and use a prog called themer to use a theme that doesn't use quartz extreme - experience says it is the Jag graphics that are very hard on an older machine - also switch display to thousands of colours - you should see a big difference.

use a prog called xbench to benchmark your ibook b4 and after - just to see if it is worthwhile. I tried it on an old imac and it really made it useable.

12. datalok macrumors member

ATTN MACETTE!

being from Melb I was wondering what the prob is with Next Byte - I usually shop at Desktop Power but I have a friend in 'advanced negotiations' re a powerbook with NB.

My email is datalok@optushome.com.au

13. Macette macrumors 6502

Howdy,

The problems I've had with Next Byte (city store) are legion, but the ones that really bug me are:

- never have any stock of anything except occasionally actual computers (never much in the way of cables or games or software or printer cartridges or general accessories)

- sloooooooowwwwww service. at lunchtime, you usually wait for over an hour. which is just crap.

- wrong advice (like 'you can only buy this extremely expensive RAM or your computer will explode or There's no such thing as a 17 inch iMac (the day after Steve announced it) or no, you can't get airport cards installed after you buy your computer - you have to have it done at the time of purchase.') All of these things are just blatantly designed so that they make sales on the spot.

That said, I just read somewhere that resellers make $25 on each ipod sold - so no wonder their staff are crap and they never have any stock and they're always scrambling to sell you something that's not quite right.

grr.

14. datalok macrumors member

wow man that is spooky - i just sent a letter to the editor of Australian Macworld:

Sir,

Mac users are constantly being reminded of the tough times that resellers are going through in the current economic environment. I have no doubt that this is a very valid point witnessed by the number of resellers here in Melbourne closing down or ?streamlining? their operations. However, it appears clear to me that there is a very evident slipping of standards of service and knowledge amongst the retail sales personnel in many Mac outlets. I became a ?switcher? 2 years ago which was a time right at the end of the Buzzle fiasco so I am not clouded by memories of ?the good old days? in the Mac world. To illustrate my point here are a few of my experiences within the last 6 months:

1. I was in the market for a G4 Imac and shopped around a few places in the south and eastern suburbs of Melbourne. I had a number of questions regarding upgrade options and screen resolutions etc. It became very apparent that many of the salespeople did not know their product and had to constantly refer to the printed specification sheets downloaded from the Apple website. These were not difficult questions e.g ? what size is the HDD??.
    Even more worrying was 2 salespeople replied that they did not know and left the matter at that!

2. I have been given incorrect product information a number of times either in order to make the product seem better or ,more likely, because the salesperson did not know and did not want to appear not to know.

3. Three times in the last week I have requested a quote from a major reseller in Melbourne (by email and by phone) and have yet to receive a reply.

4. A retailer who has recently gone under was guilty of having 2 customers excluding myself walk out of the store after waiting for service which did not eventuate because 2 staff members were playing Quake!

5. The funniest incident was when a salesperson from the store in which I usually shop mentioned he didn?t know a lot about Jaguar as he used Windows but he had heard good things!

These are not isolated or localised shortcomings. I am not a ?geek? who enjoys tripping up salespeople to show how much I know. Surely when times are hard you have to maximise sales opportunities and invest in the quality of your staff. It used to be that people would stick to the store that gave good service and advice (and price). I am now finding myself trying to find a particular person in my chosen store who knows about the systems and OS.

I have to say that one reason it annoys me so much is that for the last year I have been forwarding my CV to stores in the hope of securing employment specifically in the ?Apple World?. Like my attempt to get a quote I am still waiting for a reply.

seems like we have the same probs - lol