slow intel macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by koolerking, Sep 14, 2006.

1. koolerking macrumors newbie

Hi all.

I've been running macs for may years, last one being a lovely g4 12" powerbook (why did i sell it for this intel!)

No the new intel (white, macbook 2ghz processer and yes only 512mb ram) is running way to slow. the spinning wheel comes along far to often and this is when im running universal or native programmes, itunes, iphoto mail etc.

I've recently installed menu meter to see what th hell is going on and a strange thing is happening. Basically the dual cpu's arent being pushed that much, having said that im noticing they are flipping up to 60% on one and im not running any programes except mail and fire fox??!

But anyway, most of the time the cpus arent being pushed, but whats worrying me is the ram. Just siting here its always using about 330, leaving approx 160 ish for anything else, but its not doing anything! Now i know it is doing something, running the OS, but does this sound right? The intel iMac at work, same ram, same cpu sits there running the reverseof this (160 used, 300 free)

Any ideas. Yes i know one is to get more ram, but its about £100 pounds over in the uk for 1gb!. I've heard you can look in the terminal to see whats using the ram or cpu's.

any hep would be greatful

cheers

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i had a slow down on my blackbook - and to fix it all i did was reset the PRAM - weird i know but it speeded it back up again !

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

How exactly do you do that?

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

MacBooks love RAM. I don't know why RAM would be so expensive there... are you getting it from an indepenent reseller (ie not apple?).

Its seriously worth putting money down for more RAM.

5. haleyvan macrumors regular

i've had to reset the PRAM sooo many times (i guess that's what you get for buying rev 1) but here's how:

1. shut down macbook
    2. turn it back on again and when the grey screen appears, hold down apple, option, P and R all at the same time. you should hold the keys down until you hear 3 startup "boings" in a row, then let it go. it will start up normal and hopefully solve the problem.