SLOW Mac start up and running in X

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by geofcoulson, May 22, 2003.

1. geofcoulson macrumors newbie

Whilst I was updating Office X, I had a conflict and had to restart using OS9 startup disc.....had to bin Office X whilst in 9. I restarted OSX and found that it now takes 15 minutes to start up and is also slow running. Have run First Aid from the OSX disc......clear!!!.....tried Norton and it shows that there is a problem in Volume Header Block......"free block count is incorrect"....it suggests I run Norton from the disc to fix.....but I dont have the disc...is there anyway round this.....or is this not the problem that is slowing the Mac down.....will I have to do a full restore?....which I would rather not do!
    >>>>>>>>further note.....OS9 takes longer to load as well!!

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

3. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

my friend, you need DiskWarrior

the only reason Norton gets all this popularity is because it's famous in the PC world. the horrible truth? it probably does more harm than good most of the time...

anyway, before you fork over the money for DiskWarrior you might want to boot into single user mode...

at boot time, before the startup sound hold apple key + S key

then 'fsck -y' might yield some results...

good luck. diskwarrior is a god send. you will not be wasting money on such a product.

4. geofcoulson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your comments.... I dont know what the fsck -y does but after a few minutes of system testing I went back into OSX and.....HEY PRESTO it started up quickly and so does OS9....Imust find out what this did!
    Many thanks....a free fix!

5. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

fsck is the über-universal-unix-disk-repair-utility

it doesn't fix everything, but it can solve a lot of your problems. if you really want to read about it... here is the man page. it's actualy the linux fsck(8) but it's basically the same thing. at least it DOES the same thing... =)

good to hear everything's better. and you didn't go ahead and erase everything just yet :cool: