slow mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by anyone?, Sep 20, 2004.

1. anyone? macrumors newbie

Hello.

I just converted to Mac from PC and am quite pleased with my 12' G4 powerbook. The only disappointment is that it lags quite a bit when I move from application to application. I'm only using Safari and Mac Word, yet I sometimes experience 10 or even 20 second delays when toggling back and forth between them. Have I bought a lemon or is this standard?

2. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

that sounds a bit extreme.

how much ram do you have installed? you really need more than the 256 standard

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If it's the stock config with just 256MB RAM then I'd say that's your problem, stick another 512MB DIMM in there quick!

edit: beaten to it!

4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

5. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

umm i dont think you can take out the 256 thats installed in the 12" powerbook

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

7. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Check your Energy Saver settings. Processor might not be set to maximum.

8. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

Well, you can't (as well as many other people), but you can take it in and have them solder it for oyu

9. anyone? thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback. I will definately add more memory. Is it necessary for me to balance the current 256 that I have with another 256 or can I add one 512 instead?

Thanks again.

10. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

no need to balance. try out macsolutions.com. they have a 1gig stick for $269. thats what i am getting when i get my 12"!

11. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

That's nothing...2 weeks ago I got a 1gb stick for $149 from Outpost.com. Now my PB is SCREAAAMMMINGGG...I ordered it at 11:45pm at night and selected next day (because it was 2 dollars more) and got it less than 12 hours later at promptly 11am. Now THAT's service...Best $149 purchase I have ever made!

12. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

20 second delays between switching tasks seems extreme for even 128mb RAM! My G3 iMac 450MHz w/ 256RAM switches between tasks instantly, so I don't see why a new Powerbook wouldn't be able to do it. Sounds like something might be corrupted with your installation. If you haven't installed anything important yet, i'd advise you to reformat the HDD and install OSX from scratch.

13. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I doubt it's the 256 ram. My dad has the samething and it goes from app to app very fast.

14. honeytoast macrumors regular

I wouldn't go restoring your system just yet. Have you repaired your permissions lately? Download Cocktail and run pilot (part of cocktail, click for screen) to optimize your system. Make sure your system is up to date, and download any patches for office. If and when that doesn't work you may want to think about restoring.

Remember after you run pilot your caches will be cleared. You will need to restart twice to get back to full speed.

15. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

??

Does anyone else think it seems impossible that it could take 10-20 seconds to switch between apps? That's ridiculous. If that's literally how long it takes with 256mb of RAM, I really don't think upgrading RAM will necessarily help, plenty of systems can switch faster than that between apps with less ram and less processing power. Even with power settings set to "automatic" or "reduced" this should NOT be happening. Go into the terminal and type "top" and press return, see what's hogging CPU/RAM, and get back to us.

16. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

yes but the 269 price is lifetime warranty. i will take that! and what is the cas of yours?

17. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

3 years...Lifetime means nothing to me and it shouldn't really mean much to anyone unless you honestly plan to be using your PB in 60 years. In that case, go ahead...Lifetime! I saved a bundle, though...

18. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You don't have to launch top from the Terminal (at least if you have Panther) - just open /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor and look there. The path means open your Applications folder, then the Utilities folder inside it, then look for the Activity Monitor application and open it.