Slow Mail/Beachball Anyone?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Ted Witcher, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Ted Witcher macrumors regular

Upgraded to Panther on my dual 1 gig PowerMac. The only app that seems to be slower is Mail, which hangs for an inordinate amount of time before opening. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

2. logicat2001 macrumors regular

Go to System Preferences>Network.

In the second drop down list choose "Show: Network Port Configurations".

Uncheck any line items that don't apply to your networking setup, e.g. if you've got broadband internet access, disable modem; if you're not using any bluetooth devices, disable bluetooth.

Lastly, make sure to move your primary networking port to the top of the list. The order of ports on this list is the order in which OS X searches for a network connection.

Hope that helps,
    Logicat

3. Ted Witcher thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks -- tried your suggestions, but they didn't work. In fact, Mail actually seems even slower to open now. Anybody else having this problem?

4. logicat2001 macrumors regular

Try, in Mail, opening Window>Activity Viewer.

If Mail is actually having a network issue upon startup, you should be able to discern what is happening, via this window.

Otherwise, maybe it's a problem with your mbox files; your local mail data store. How much mail is there? Have you run any disk utility to clean up directory errors, perhaps?

Maybe there's something funky with your data.

5. logicat2001 macrumors regular

Try creating a new User account, just for testing and kicks.

Log in to this new user account and try setting up a new email account (but make sure that you're not removing email from the server when you enable the account. This is just for testing, not for permamnent use).

If the "problem" follows you to the new account, then I would assume it's an OS/hardware issue and not a user issue. Just an idea.

6. Frisco macrumors 68020

I am having the same problem. A reboot solves the problem, but the next day it is slow again. Sometimes it takes 2 minutes for it to open. I will try the suggestions though.

7. c2kvette macrumors member

I've noticed that sending and receiving mail in Panther is slower than in Jaguar.

8. Frisco macrumors 68020

Ted,

Do you have the hotmail plugin installed?

I removed it and my Mail opens quickly now.

9. Phazer80s macrumors regular

It IS slower...

It seems slower on my system, too. With so many fixes throughout Panther, and even in Mail specifically, I've got confidence this will be fixed, too.

I'm just so relieved Panther's UI is finally fast. Kudos to the engineers who worked their a**es off on that one. It's the best feature of the whole OS, IMO.

10. Ted Witcher thread starter macrumors regular

No hotmail plug-in (don't even know what that is, actually). I guess I'll just have to trust that an eventual update will correct this. Otherwise I'm a huge fan of Panther.

11. Frisco macrumors 68020

Yeah Panther is great. I'm sure Apple will work out the kinks with 10.3.1.

Any way what about when you reboot--does Mail still take forever to open?

12. Ted Witcher thread starter macrumors regular

13. tduality macrumors member

Re: It IS slower...

Mail is definitely faster on mine. Otherwise I completely agree with you. The overall UI responsiveness improved so much that I feel like having a new machine. Panther is great.