Slow OS Response

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by imamacguy17, May 6, 2003.

1. imamacguy17 macrumors member

now that my mouse is in working order (somekind of errors from 10.2.5 wasnt reading my usb ports on my monitor) i went back to getting work done. No however the OS response is slow and every once and a while will "freeze" to catch back up. never had this problem before. I tried giving it more rest (it had a full weekend 48 hours) and it is very frustrating trying to do anything. any ideas comments proccedures (ther than buying a new machine) will be very helpful.

Thank
    Chris

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

There is Mac OS X 10.2.6 available. Update to that first (6MB download).

When was the last time you refreshed your Hard Drive? What model machine and how much memory do you have?

If you haven't done a recent Hard Drive refresh (recent meaning less than a year) you may need to do so now. Also, how much software do you install on your computer?

Have you also done an fsck -y and tried to reset the open firmware to see if this problem is resolved somewhat?

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Repaired permissions yet?

i don't quite know what you mean by 'refreshed', but if you mean reinstall, i don't think that's quite necessary for most problems... it's way too... MS...

can you be more specific about the response issue? like, does text get delayed between keyboard and screen? or the cursor? Or programs opening, or one program in specific, etc etc. The more specific you are, the more likely one of us is to know the exact cause...

pnw

4. imamacguy17 thread starter macrumors member

im running a 350 power mac g4 with 640 mb ram. i download 10.2.6 today and it solved the computer error (forced manual restart) that occured in 10.2.5. i havent zapped my hardrives or whatever you want me to with them. i dont have much on my hard drives my 4 gig hd is empty then my forty is partitioned into 15, 15, and 10 gigs and i only use one of the 15 partitions. the other two are empty. im using roughly 1/2 of the space. it stops as if it where thinking when i type when i try to move windows, shrink them switch applications, gneral tasks, cds stop and then come back in in the same spot things back up. in general things are sluggish when they werent before. i realize its time for a new machine but as a poor college student i cant afford one and im waiting on the 970s. i hope this gives everyone enough info to help me.