Slow Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 173080, May 16, 2005.

1. 173080 macrumors 6502

I upgraded my PowerBook to Tiger over a week ago and Safari has been lagging severely.

It takes about 30 "bounces" in the Dock to open and when it does, every single time I click on a link or open a new page in a background tab Safari hangs for a couple of seconds and I get a beachball. This is getting really annoying.

How can I make Safari fast again? :confused:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What plugins did you have installed for Safari before you upgraded? Safari 2 should be wicked fast (well, compared to anything before 1.3, which was also wicked fast).

3. 173080 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't even know. :p

How can I check the plugins I have installed?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, for the kind of plugins that are an issue for this...hmmm...there isn't an easy way. Stuff like SAFT, AcidSearch, PithHelmet, SafariSpeed, etc. Most/all of these have Tiger versions, but were updated. So you should probably trash them. Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure how to advise that you do that if you don't even know which you installed, because there's no easy install/uninstall method.

5. 173080 thread starter macrumors 6502

I believe I had SafariSpeed installed, could that be the problem?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Dunno...could be. There's a Tiger version of this program -- not sure if it's a later version, or just the same one. Try upgrading and see if it helps.

Also, just for kicks ;) see if you have a SIMBL folder in either of the following locations:

/library/input managers/
    /users/(you)/library/input managers/

If you do, try deleting them and seeing if this helps. On the off chance you have something in there that would break something else, as always, practice safe trashing -- move them to a temp location, like a folder on your desktop, and if nothing crashes after they're gone from the library folders, then delete them.