Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgil27

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012
Jalisco Mexico
A fix to slow shutdown in Mountain Lion that worked for me...

So as I upgraded to Mountain Lion everything was running smoothly, Shutdown times were at 2-3 seconds. After installing Google Chrome, shutdown time increased to 20-30 seconds. I uninstalled Google Chrome and now my shutdown times are back to 2-3 seconds. I hope Google takes notice of this issue and come up with and update to get rid of this problem, I hope this woks out for everyone with the same problem.

Last edited:

ultraspiracle

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
My shutdown was very fast with 10.8.1 running Parallels after I deactivated the service parallels.disp.svc. Basically, then I went and uninstalled parallels 7 and reinstalled it - problem solved.

That was hanging the system on shutdown and it took forever! Once taken care of, nearly immediate shutdown.

Now with 10.8.2 things are different. The above service no longer runs with Parallels 8, so if it's hanging the system it's due to something else. My shutdown time is over 40 seconds. Unacceptable.

2012MBP, 2.7, 500 SSD, 10.8.2

NJFP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
No parallels, dumped the Java folder, shut down STILL at 25 seconds. No change..........

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
FYI:
Apple already knows about the slow shutdown with 10.8.2

ATM there is nothing you can do about this.

ultraspiracle

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Here is a possible workaround for the moment. It worked for my machine.

Go to system preferences/users and groups. Under login items, highlight all and at the +/- click the MINUS - i.e. get rid of everything. Shut down. Power up, wait a few minutes, and restart.

If slow shutdown was caused by any of the login items, it should be much faster. In my case, the culprit was Google Drive.

It's important to wait a few minutes and doodle around on the computer before testing the restart/shutdown time, since there are a lot of startup services that need to come up and stabilize.

Again, this worked for my machine, and - again - this never surfaced before 10.8.2, so hopefully the app makers and Apple can figure this out.

Note added later - this was not a permanent fix and, as many users can attest, is a bug that affects 10.8.2. Supposedly, it's being addressed.

Last edited:

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
If your shutting down the computer does it really matter how long it takes? Even restarting, if it takes 20-30 secs longer you guys can't honestly live with that?

James

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
If your shutting down the computer does it really matter how long it takes? Even restarting, if it takes 20-30 secs longer you guys can't honestly live with that?

James

Since it only started with 10.8.2, many of use are of the impression that something is wrong and needs fixing. If it were just normal, than it would be no big deal. Are you worried about those that are worried about this ? :confused:

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
Since it only started with 10.8.2, many of use are of the impression that something is wrong and needs fixing. If it were just normal, than it would be no big deal. Are you worried about those that are worried about this ? :confused:

I'm not worried about anyone. I'm just saying what is 30 secs more waiting for it to shut down or restart. I'm just asking what is the big deal. That's like waiting 30 more sec for your coffee to be ready and freaking out about it. When you restart or shut down the computer, do something else in the meantime.

Next people will complain it takes to long to start up. There might even be a thread about that already

James

colloc

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
I'm not worried about anyone. I'm just saying what is 30 secs more waiting for it to shut down or restart. I'm just asking what is the big deal. That's like waiting 30 more sec for your coffee to be ready and freaking out about it. When you restart or shut down the computer, do something else in the meantime.

Next people will complain it takes to long to start up. There might even be a thread about that already

James

James, the problem is that it used to shut down in 5-6 secs in previous ML builds. The fact that it takes so long to shut down in the current 10.8.2 build makes it a software bug. What we are trying to do is find out how to fix this bug while Apple hasn't released a fix for it yet.

Whether it's a big deal or not is a matter of opinion. Who are we to judge others' opinions?

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
James, the problem is that it used to shut down in 5-6 secs in previous ML builds. The fact that it takes so long to shut down in the current 10.8.2 build makes it a software bug. What we are trying to do is find out how to fix this bug while Apple hasn't released a fix for it yet.

Whether it's a big deal or not is a matter of opinion. Who are we to judge others' opinions?

I see a lot of people are OCD about this type of thing. If that's all you have to worry about is your computer shutting down in 20-30 sec more you must not have a busy life.

And who says it a software bug. Maybe apple built something in the software to optimize something on start. Maybe that is why it takes so long. Being we haven't heard anything it's probably normal. Remember with every software release not everything is gonna be the same.

I'll leave you to being upset to your slow shut down times

James

razmarino

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
well, removing cloud.app from login items did the trick for me, seems like cloud apps causing these problems with shutdowns.. ultraspiracle, thx for the tip!

colloc

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
I see a lot of people are OCD about this type of thing. If that's all you have to worry about is your computer shutting down in 20-30 sec more you must not have a busy life.

And who says it a software bug. Maybe apple built something in the software to optimize something on start. Maybe that is why it takes so long. Being we haven't heard anything it's probably normal. Remember with every software release not everything is gonna be the same.

James

:) when did I ever say I was upset about shutdown time? Chillax :apple: But I will keep an eye open for a fix. So should you!

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida

James

You opened up a can of worms here. If it doesn't bother you why in the world would you start a campaign to bad mouth others that are concerned? You should have just by passed this thread altogether, but you did not, and now you are just Trolling to post anger at those with concerns. Just go away and live your life happily knowing you are the OCD police :mad:

ELCJR

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
OS X slow shut down

Removing iTunes" and Dropbox" from the login seems to be helping. Keeping an eye out though.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
So as I upgraded to Mountain Lion everything was running smoothly, Shutdown times were at 2-3 seconds. After installing Google Chrome, shutdown time increased to 20-30 seconds. I uninstalled Google Chrome and now my shutdown times are back to 2-3 seconds. I hope Google takes notice of this issue and come up with and update to get rid of this problem, I hope this woks out for everyone with the same problem.

Deleting Google Chrome did the trick, thanks! I hope it is not just temporary.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
If that's all you have to worry about is your computer shutting down in 20-30 sec more you must not have a busy life.

Huh? You obviously have nothing to do. I'm so busy that when I press shutdown on my mac I expect to be closing the display, packing up my macbook and leaving my chair all within 5 seconds.

velo

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008

James

Actually I have a very busy and on the move life which is exactly why I bought a mba with its ssd and value the quicker start up and shutdown times.

Deleting Google Chrome did the trick, thanks! I hope it is not just temporary.

It was temporary for me.

Arctix

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Is closing the lid when shutting down your Mac bad? That's what I do, so I don't have to wait till it shuts down before closing the lid.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is closing the lid when shutting down your Mac bad? That's what I do, so I don't have to wait till it shuts down before closing the lid.
If you select shut down, then close the lid, your Mac may sleep before it can shut down. If you want it to shut down, wait until the process is complete before closing the lid. If you want it to sleep, just close the lid.

fireos

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
Macbook air shutdown time in the new mountain lion

From 3 seconds to 13 sseconds.

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I have the rMBP (250 GB SSD) and my shutdown time was about 2-3 seconds until about a week ago when it started taking about 15 seconds to shut down. I don't recall adding any programs or making any changes to my laptop recently that would cause the change in behavior. I've tried all the suggestions above, but none of them have helped. Does anyone have any thoughts or updated info on this topic?

ioshertz

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
WiFi

I don't have any virtual machine
I tried to delete the JAVA folder and it worked only the first shut down

but if you turn off wifi it shuts down for 2-3 seconds every time - EDIT - that appears to be wrong - again is slow shutting

EDIT - I also tried to quit skype and again it shut down quickly
maybe it's something related to the net connections and the new features [facebook bla bla] that is causing the problem

Last edited:

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Most of the time its 20 seconds now, but for some unknown reason and without doing anything different, the time to shutdown will be 3 seconds and only once than back to 20 seconds again. This happens a few times now and cannot understand why this is. Goofy OS X

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.