Slow Slow Diablo 2...Virtual Memory to blame?

Discussion in 'Games' started by CorvusCamenarum, Sep 1, 2005.

1. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

For some reason, when I'm playing D2, I get periodic, seemingly random, huge slowdowns in game play. Pursuant to the other "D2 is slow" threads, I remember when playing D2 before I migrated to OSX, that if using virtual memory, it would run horrendously slow. Might that be the culprit nowadays as well?

The setup: Rev. A iMac G5 17", 1.6 GhZ, 768MB RAM
    No apps running except for Finder, Diablo 2 (v1.11), Activity Monitor
    Tested both in Software Mode and OpenGL, results nearly identical

According to Activity Monitor (in MB):
    Real Memory Size: 37.37
    Virtual Memory Size: 186.01
    Shared Memory Size: 19.00
    Private Memory Size: 29.85
    Virtual Private Memory: 52.37

According to Menumeters, when D2 is running, my processor spikes at 100% until I close the game. Activity Monitor says roughly 65% of that is D2. My previous machine was a 700MhZ eMac, before that, a 400 MhZ Sawtooth G4. I haven't had the problem until now. Even opening a Town Portal causes a slowdown now.

1) Is Virtual Memory to blame? Under OS 9, if I turned it off I noticed a huge speed improvement.

2) If so, how does one go about recitifying this?

2. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Virtual memory isn't to blame, because others (including myself) run it fine, and it's impossible to turn VM off. VM in OS X is actually totally different from VM in OS 9 anyway (which wasn't "real" VM). Running in OpenGL mode under certain versions of the OS would cause slowdowns, but you say it's the same with software mode, so I guess that's not the problem. Still, what are you using? It runs great with 10.3.7, I know for sure.

--Eric

3. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Besides occasional slowdown, I'm not experiencing anything like that when I'm playing D2, and I'm running it on a 700mhz FP iMac w/ 512 ram. I'm not running at the highest settings, but your machine should easily handle D2?

4. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Duh, forgot to add that in. 10.3.9. I've also got the eye candy turned down to the minimum while playing in 800x600 mode. Turning the resolution down to 640x480 doesn't seem to make a difference. It seems to happen the worst when I'm playing with my sorceress, and I'm guessing that's due to all the graphic spell death goodness she dishes out. This is also in single player mode, no Battle.net.

I just wish I knew why it was spiking my processor the way it is (set to Maximum performance); I'm guessing that might have something to do with it.

5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

That might be the problem; Diablo II's performance seemed to go up and down with the various OS upgrades, and I see now from another post that it apparently worked fine for you with 10.3.8. Go back to 10.3.8 or buy Tiger, I guess....

6. WillMak macrumors 6502a

that's crazy...I use to be able to run D2 fine on a 300 mhz celeron with 64mb of ram.

7. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Uh... That may sound stupid but... I had the same problem as you under OS X and updating the game to the latest version proved to be the solution.

Note that Blizzard has released 2 patches of the latest version of Diablo 2 for OS X. The beta 2 version, is optimized for Opengl and runs just fine..

For the record, Diablo runs perfectly into all my machines using OS X.

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Diablo should never run slow on a G4 or G5. If it is, OS X is probably to blame, as others have mentioned certain OS updates caused slowdowns.

I haven't run it in months, I'll have to see how it does on my G4 in 10.3.9...

10.3.7 and 10.3.8 generally seemed fine, but I'm not sure if the latest (1.11) patch might have issues, and I don't have Tiger either. It's mostly trial and error to get it right.

9. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Now the problem has spread to iTunes. It's behaving in the same way. I don't know what the crap is going on, but I'm getting mighty frustrated. I didn't shell out a small fortune for a computer to act this way; otherwise I would have bought a swotty PC box.

10. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Do you have any network devices or locations, or external storage devices that get removed sometimes? That's one thing that can cause OS X to slow down or hang for long, long periods of time, even on a dual G5. Does D2 do the same thing after a clean reboot?

11. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

No, nothing like that. Just a printer (Canon iP 1500), and I haven't altered my setup since I bought it all back in January. This problem has just crept up on me in the past couple weeks or so. D2 is playable, but only just. It's spread to iTunes though, and makes it unusable. The question I'm trying to answer now is what these two apps have in common that would cause them to malfunction in the same way.

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

My best advice is to go to a different version of OS X - either using your original install disk (if it isn't 10.3.9) or by getting Tiger.

That should solve the problem I would think. I'll try running D2 on my G4 (I'm running 10.3.9) and see if it is slow too.

Oh, and I forgot to ask before: did the slowness happen after you installed patch 1.11, or before?

13. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Tried that last night - went back to the original I have, which is 10.3.5. Problem persists. I might have to try to scrape the money for Tiger together somehow. I was holding off on that until I upgraded hardware sometime next year, but oh well.

It started showing up in 1.10. But since the problem has just recently spread to iTunes as described above, I'm of the opinion that the aforementioned D2 slowdown is a symptom and not the cause of this problem.

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It's entirely possible that the two symptoms are unrelated - though I'm a bit baffled that an OS reinstall didn't solve the problem. I remember that D2 v1.10 caused slowdowns on my 266MHz iMac (Running OS 9.2.2), but my G4 tower (using the OS X installer for Diablo) had no problems with D2 v1.10. That was back in 10.3.7 though.

Is iTunes showing super-high CPU usage too?

The only other thing I can think to do would be to check your hard disks with Disk Utility, zap the PRAM, and run the daily/weekly/monthly cron jobs. But those are just stabs in the dark. :eek:

15. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I am too. The original plan was to start with Panther.5 and go up in increments until I found something that worked, but I can't find an archive of .6 or .7 anywhere.

Yup, although with iTunes it tends to go in spurts. With D2, it's almost always running at close to 100%. With iTunes it comes and goes in spurts, but the spurts correlate to the slowdown/skipping.

Did that already. It didn't help much. I miss my music. :(

16. woxel1 macrumors member

I would...
    Run Cocktail
    Delete your Diablo 2 preference files (in your user's library folder)
    Update to the latest versions of all software

I hope that helps!

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Well, I found my D2 disc and played a bit - D2X v1.10 and OS X 10.3.9 in 800x600 / millions of colors.

Ran great on my G4 (see sig), but I didn't play online. A couple times I noticed a momentary slowdown when I hit a town portal, but only two or three times out of dozens. Other than that it ran as fast as can be. I did a TCP/IP game with my brother (1.42 Mac Mini) and that went fine too, no odd behavior.

18. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

lol i play d2 on this mac (see sig) and it runs fine for me every once in a wile tho it will switch to windowed mode and i have to switch it back but thats all the problems it gives me other than the slow cpu and old gfx

19. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Some illustrations to further describe what's going wrong. If you look at the graphs in the upper right, you can see what I mean. So far it seems that we've been able to determine that there's no reason why this should be happening, yet it persists. Perhaps one of the more tech-savvy people could please explain this and recommend a fix?

Attached Files:

20. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I don't know what I did, or how I did it, but both problems seem to have resolved. Thanks to everyone who tried to help. After starting from the installer discs and downloading all the updates (which takes much time on dialup), no more slowdowns in either app. The only changes are the following:

upgraded to iTunes 5.0 and QT 7.0.2
    iMac G5 Sleep Light update is *not* installed.
    Java 1.4.2 Update 2 is *not* installed.
    Screen was adjusted to approx. -5º pitch when I bumped it reattaching my printer cable.

I still wish I knew what fixed it, but I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Strange. :confused: Well, at least it works properly now.

I was playing D2 last night (you seem to have gotten be back into the game :D ), and I noticed that the game seems less stable than when I played it last (10.3.7). There were a couple buggy sound effects, and the game crashed once while an NPC was talking to me, with the audio skipping like a broken record. Still, I haven't had any sluggishness.

22. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Haha, you should PM me with details regarding a TCP/IP game so I can transfer equipment between my several characters (I don't do Realm games). I've probably got some stuff you might find useful that would compensate you for your time.
    I sure wish someone made a Mac-compatible item editor. I've beaten the game so many times it's not cheating to me; I just dont have a thousand hours to burn waiting for stuff to drop.