slow slow startup times?? help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by i-unit123, Aug 31, 2006.

1. i-unit123 macrumors member

i-unit123

hello,

recently i started noticing that my mac (20" intel iMac 2.0 2GB) is starting up slowly. For example, the menu bar at the top right of the screen seems to take a long time to load. my mac used to boot significantly faster it seems. ive tried repairing permissions, and that didnt help. what can i do to improve boot up times?

2. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Have you added any menu items or other programs that launch on start up?

3. i-unit123 thread starter macrumors member

i-unit123

no, it is the default configuration.what else could cause this??

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Check you SMART status in disk utility. Also try create a new account and see if that one is slow.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Actual physical HD problem are possibilities, along with fragged file system (use fsck or Disk Utility).

Repairing permissions (which you tried), and update_prebinding are the other things to run/check.

7. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

Macs will never be as fast as when you first brought them, sadly I've never known a way to get that speed back from when you first got it, for example my Powermac G4 1.25 ghz Used to take 12 seconds to start up the first month or so now it takes about 25-30 seconds

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A format and reinstall should theoretically bring it right back up to as-new speeds. Of course, there's not much point in doing this because as soon as you start installing new login items and apps it'll mildly slow down again. I find the slow down over time isn't nearly as large or disruptive as that of my Windows PC thankfully. :)

9. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

How often do you reboot? The less often you do, the more cleanup scripts os x has to run... that hurts speed a bit.

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

just a thought, maybe use onyx clean up ur system or reset PRAM, not sure if they would be helpful, but doesn't hurt to try, pretty simple compare to re-install system.

11. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

What the heck is a SMART status? I opened disk utility and I dont see anything called SMART

12. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Attached Files: