SLOW startup times? any answers?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by advres, Feb 4, 2004.

1. advres Guest

advres

ok - i know this has had to be covered sometime in the past but i can't seem to find it.

My machine has been lagging real bad lately on startup. Unfortunately I have no basis on when this started (ie. what update this started happening on). Once it starts I have no problems but once my desktop background appears it takes for ever to get my icons up on the desktop. Also the taskbar at the top drags too. the icons to the right (bluetooth, battery, etc...) slowly show up in negative then once the task bar turns its normal opagueness they turn into their proper color. I repair permissions all the time and used macjanitor to do all my routine maintenance but that never helps.

I am usually pretty good with solving problems myself but this one has just got me baffled.

oh p.s. - im running x.3.2

any help would be greatly appreciated

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

you can try writing the following at your terminal
    sudo ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl

you will be asked for your password.

and then restart your comp. After that your restart time should be significantly less .
    this command just puts the bootcache control in usr/sbin.
    to undo this change just write
    sudo rm /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl

3. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

There's a patch to speed up your startup time, I'll try to find it when I get home from work.

4. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I have the very same problem on my PowerBook...And I know it happened when I installed 10.3.2...because before that update, my PowerBook was faster than it had ever been, much thanks to Panther. But this update really slowed down my machine for some reason. Did anyone try that command line in the terminal that was posted?

5. advres thread starter Guest

advres

i did the terminal thing and i don't notice any speed increases. does the amount of apps I have in my dock have anything to do with the startup speed? I do have quite a lot in there and if that has anything to do with it than there are alot I could purge.

More help needed please!!!!

Attached Files:

• dock.jpg
      dock.jpg
      File size:
      16.2 KB
      Views:
  6. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

The apps in your Dock shouldnt matter unless you have them set to open at start up time.

Check in System Preferences>Accounts>Log-in Items and see what you have lurking in there.

Also Panther/Library/Startup Items may give you a clue.

PS Ever heard the idea of putting folders of apps in your Dock? :D

7. advres thread starter Guest

advres

I have nothing in my startup items under system prefs and I only have 2 under the library which are Qmaster and Tablet

8. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

Have you cleaned caches using Panther Cache Cleaner or Onyx or cocktail?

9. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

The code that is typed in the terminal worked great! Thanks guys!!!

10. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Terminal Code

MOST (as with any terminal thing that i do.... :) ) things worked, the speed is great on my 12" Rev. A PB which had slowed down a lot after x.2.6 and above, til panther and it was like WOW! then it sporadically crashed all microsoft programs til x.3.1 then now as much, then x.3.2 not as much again, but dreamweaver crashed and it was SLOW starting up. I couldn't get the code to run from my computer, got a message like . "We sure you've gotten the usual lecture from the system administrator (ironically thats me; kinda reminds u of windows' imfamous network errors that drive me nuts: 'check with your system administrator, ME AGAIN!!! rrrr ms! when (hopefully never! long live OS X) will you learn?) about tampering with other user's files.... blah blah blah" So I had go to another computer, log in remotely in terminal and then run the code. Worked like a charm and everything is almost back to the speeds of 10.3.0 days.

BTW what do you think of Apple calling "OS 11" Mac OS X11? or X1? I really think that they're straying away from the X being 'ten.' did you notice that it no longer has the blue x when starting up or in about this mac? its now that metal apple. I sure hope so.... it sounds so much cooler than XP or anything MS can "create...." LOL like they've every done anything except steal ideas from apple (ie GUI and iPod... also The Mac BU release Word and Excel on the mac first.... )

I love my MAC!

P.S. new to this forum... can find a way to link to an avatar or even select one... help please!

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Terminal Code

You need to have 500 posts first.

12. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

Mine is doing the same thing. it seems like it happend after i installed a lot of fonts.

what is terminal sudo?

13. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

sudo lets you do admin level modifications. it's needed when you want to do system level manipulations because ordinary account holders don't have permissions to modify system level files in OS X. (rightfully so)

i.e. don't abuse it if you don't know what you are doing...

one more thing... to answer the initial poster... put the machine to sleep. that's how you avoid dealing with slow startups. :D

14. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

I entered the that line in my utilities, and received a no such file or directory error?