SLOW update

Discussion in 'iPod' started by barbibobu, Feb 8, 2006.

1. barbibobu macrumors newbie

I downloaded the new ipod updater and the latest itunes. Now when I do an update (manual or automatic), it is unbelievably slow-like 5 minutes per song! I have a photo ipod 40 GB. Any help?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm assuming it's nothing to do with the port and that you've tried other peripherals in it, right? Did you upgrade the firmware or do a full restore? If you haven't done a restore, I'd give that a go. There's a chance that your iPod's firmware was corrupted somehow by the update. :)

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'd check the port you're using for starters. Do you encounter this same problem using different ports? I know my iMac has a quirky FW port, which caused some issues with my iPod, whereas the second FW port works like a charm.

Always best to eliminate the simple things like this first before racking your brain on more complex troubleshooting. :cool:

4. barbibobu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have a firewire cable. I'm syncing through USB. I did a restore when I got this ipod (my sister's) and then synced it at my work computer and it worked like a charm. Then I downloaded the new software on my home desktop and that's when the sync took about 5 hours. I tried it on my laptop as well and it takes about 45 minutes to transfer one CD. I suppose I could do a total restore again, (but you have to have a wall charger which is a pain because I don't have one and I had to go borrow one the next day the last time.) Still, I guess that's what I'll try next unless you have other ideas. By the way, really really thank you for responding and trying to help.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

And it's definitely USB 2.0? You're not trying to use USB 1.1, are you? :)

6. barbibobu thread starter macrumors newbie

Aha! Didn't know there were different USBs. How do I find out if I am using USB 2.0 or an old one?

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Are you on a PC or mac? if you are on a mac go to apps/utilities then system profiler. find your USB under hardwear and it will let you know.

Bless

8. barbibobu thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm on an eMac and sorry, can't find where it says 2.0 listed for the USB ports. Here is what it does say:
    Vendor Name: Apple Computer, Inc.
    Product ID: 32773 ($8005)
    Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
    Bus Power (mA): 500
    Does that tell you what you need to know? also, I did a restore and it's taking 4 hours to download all my itunes. (500 songs). That seems long to me. I borrowed a wall charger and I think it has a firewire plug. Will that make the updates faster? thanx again.

9. briangig macrumors regular

that's USB 1.1 (12Mbs). USB 2 is something like 400Mbs.

What ipod are you using? 1st generation through the 4th work with firewire, but the latest (5th generation video ipod), only works with USB1.1/2.0.

If you have a 5th gen ipod, I'm not sure how you would get USB 2 on an emac.

edit: Just saw your first post, you have a 4th generation, so firewire will work. About the same speed as firewire (a little faster). So all you need is a firewire cable, which it sounds like you have.

10. karnsculpture macrumors member

I am having the same problem

Hello - I am also using an iPog Photo (30GB) and have found that updating takes more than twice as long since updating the software in the past week. None of my hardware or software has changed with the exception of updates to iTunes/Quick Time and iPod. It is really annoying! I just reset and reinstalled the iPod to try to solve the issue, but re-downloading my songs has taken 3 hours + so far!

Is this all coincidental - is my iPod dying? The poor thing, it is just under a year old.

TTFN

Paul

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

karnsculpture, does it ever finish? Has it crashed iTunes? :)

12. karnsculpture macrumors member

Hello

Yes to both questions.

Yesterday I reset the iPod, re-installed iTunes and tried again - no crashes but it took 6 hours to transfer 25GB of MP3's. That is a great improvement on it taking maybe 30 minutes for one song!

I'm definitely using a USB2 port. I have only had this problem since the most recent iTunes and Quick Time updates, but this could be a coincidence.

Best wishes

Paul

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try a different cable if you can however I have a feeling it may be a failing hard drive. Check it out in Disk Utility, maybe repair the disk. Does it get really hot and does it click slightly if you hold it up to your ear as you're transferring data? :(

14. karnsculpture macrumors member

Oh dear! Yes the iPod did get hot. I tried to check the disc but I was told this was not possible as the disc was too full. I will try another cable first!

Thanks

Paul

15. karnsculpture macrumors member

Problem solved - apparently - used another cable and no problem.

The iPod was probably getting hot because of 6 hours transferring songs slowly.

Best wishes

Paul

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

17. mb1mnky macrumors newbie

Similar Problem

Hi

Just found this thread and I am having a similar problem. I have an older version ipod mini and it seems to vary between updating fast and updating really slowly. I have USB 2.0 and have tried 2 different cords.

I also had problems with the ipod freezing during update and have restored the ipod a number of times now. Every time I try to update the ipod it updates for a while and then inexplicably stops, and I am unable to see the music on the ipod. I guess this may be a hard drive problem, but does anyone have any other ideas? I assume that since I have had the ipod over a year I will have to pay to get it fixed and it is probably not worth it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, it certainly sounds like a hard drive issue. Are you noticing the clicking noise? Is it getting warm? Have you tried different USB ports on your computer? Do you have a Mac or a PC? :)

19. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Borrow a friend's ipod to make sure it isn't a problem with any of the ports on your computer.

Although this solution will only work if your friends have an ipod (or if you have friends :p )

20. mb1mnky macrumors newbie

I have a pc. I have tried different USB ports and different cables, but I'll try to update it on someone else computer or update someone else's ipod on mine. The ipod does get hot and i can hear some clicks so not a good sign.

If I update only a few songs at a time I can get some music on the ipod, but eventually it gets stuck on a song and then I can't see any of the music anymore. I guess it might be time to get a bigger ipod and keep this one with a few songs on it just for the gym. Thanks for the help guys.