slow usb transfer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by koswo, Mar 21, 2006.

1. koswo macrumors member

Hi, I copied about 30 GB of data (photos, music and downloaded files) to my external hard disk. The copy operation took about 9 hours! It's a USB 2.0 drive (Lacie, 250 GB) connected to a passive 4-port USB HUB (from HP, I got it for free on a conference) which is connected to the rear USB port of my Intel iMac. Can anyone explain why the copy operation took so long, since the transfer speed of USB 2.0 is about 57 MB/sec... Could it be because the hub isn't self-powered?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you tried transferring data without the hub? :)

3. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

do USB hubs work like network hubs?

where the entire network slows down to the speed of the slowest connection

ie ... a 100 base/t ethernet will slow down to 10 base/t if one of the computers connected has 100 base/t card?

my point being -- is there anything on the USB hub connected, running at USB 1.1 that would slow the whole thing down.

4. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

This happened to my a while ago on my ibook and i just unplugged the hud and then pluged the ehd into a usb port and it worked alot faster

5. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Oh yeah, just one word of warning, if it's possible to power the hub, be very careful that you use the right kind of power supply for it. The bassist in my band managed to destroy a hub, his USB2 audio interface and his MacMini's logic board by plugging in a power supply for the hub that was a bit too high for safety. Luckily he's just had them all replaced by the manufacturers for free ... needless to say he kept schtum about the power supply situation.

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

when i use my unpowered USB hub with my LaCie HD the speed goes down. it feels like USB 1.1. When i transfer directly from the mac it works just fine.

7. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Bear in mind that your hub has to be USB 2.0 compatible as well. And the cable to your mac has to be USB 2 certified!

If that's not the case for you, then you're crippling the performance of your data transfers to usb 1.1.

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

And not just USB 2, but High speed (Hi-Speed) USB 2.... there actually is a low speed version of USB2 that some (cheaper) devices might have (although rare)... :rolleyes:

9. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Indeed! Forgot about that! :rolleyes:

10. trogdor! macrumors regular

Yep, check and make sure the hub is 2.0 compatible.