slow VNC connection

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nick_harambee, Mar 7, 2007.

1. nick_harambee macrumors regular

hi

i am trying to connect remotely to my dad's mac for the first time. he has installed vine server, and i have tried connecting wiht both vine viewer and chicken of the vnc. with both programs the connection is slow, even though we are both connected to the internet with high speed broadband, and physically, rather than wirelessly, connected to our routers. both of us are forwarding ports 5900-5902 (TCP).

when i say slow connection, i mean that it takes a while for his screen to load, and then my mouse clicks are very unresponsive, typically taking 10-20 secs to respond. i am used to using Windows XP to remotely connect computers and had much better responsiveness with a slower internet connection, so i am not sure why i am having this difficulty with the macs. we are both using intel dual-core macs.

can anyone suggest ways in which i can improve the repsonsiveness?

thanks

nick

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Probably not, you are doing it over the internet which will add lag, for it to be quick you need to have an ethernet cable physically connecting the machines.

Even Wireless which is quite quick compared to an internet connection is pretty slow.

3. t1937r0 macrumors 6502a

Have you explored the connection profiles within chicken of the vnc?
    If you set the colors down to 256, and under preferences, if you
    set the Frontmost Connection to update a litle slower than top speed
    it might help.

Robin

4. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I even find it slow internally sometimes. I just had to connect to my home computer to help the wife and it was terrible over the internet. I sure with there was something like Remote Desktop Connection (microsoft) or pcAnywhere for the mac. I have always found them very fast even on slow connections. I think they just send the commands to draw windows and such (as vector graphics) and cache bitmaps where needed where I think VNC just sends the screen and all changes as bitmaps.

- James

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Windows' Remote Desktop employs some more advanced compression tricks than VNC, which just demands more bandwidth in general. Also keep in mind that most broadband connections have significantly slower upload than download, which is the limiting factor in this case. My connection at home (3mbit down) was only 512kbit up, and even that had a rough time providing decent speed for VNC.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

7. t1937r0 macrumors 6502a

Broken link!