Slow web browsing in OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MUCKYFINGERS, Jul 28, 2005.

1. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I have tried the following browsers:

Camino
    Firefox
    Safari

Frequently, when trying to visit a website such as www.google.com, or www.macrumors.com, it can take up to 10 seconds for the page to load. Then, I'll hop onto the Dell Dimension that is also on the network (2.8 ghz, 512 mb ram) that doesn't have a good wireless receiver, but can often times access google VERY quickly. Google shouldn't take long to load at all.

I tried adding ".com" to search domains under preferences, but this problem still persists. Anyone have any idea? I paid very good money for this iBook (1.42 ghz, 512 mb ram) and I want to know whats up.

Thanks!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

On my Mac, those two sites take 1-2 seconds to load in Safari.

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

try disabling then reenabling airport. sometimes i'll get a lag on my emac's internet connection and that helped. you'll probably find, though, that web browsing is appreciably slower on a mac than on a pc.

4. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

maybe try disabling cache, so the HD is not accessed beforehand.

5. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Most of the time those two websites do load just fine, but I'd say maybe once every 1-2 hours this might happen where it takes a long time to load the pages.

6. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

If it's only rarely that it happens, it could be just slow DNS resolution by your router.

7. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Anyway I can fix that?

Sometimes this kind of problem happens on my PC but it's been happening on my Mac a lot lately.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've never noticed that :confused:

9. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Are you sure you experienced it with Safari? Tiger's version of Safari is just as fast or faster than any PC browser I've used.

If you are experiencing slow browsing in Safari we can help you to troubleshoot the problem because this shouldn't be happening.

10. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Yes, I used Safari almost exclusively and I had this problem a couple of times. This doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough times in the day to where I feel I need to figure it out since I did pay good money for this ibook. :p

11. rccola70 macrumors regular

To fix the slow DNS routing, you just have to find another DNS server..hopefully faster one..

12. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Safari likes to download a page before displaying it, which might explain why you feel as though a page is loading slower. Good news is it's easy remove the page loading delay. Download TinkerTool and under the Safari menu check the box for "Reduce the delay time for display of loading pages".

13. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

If you have a wireless access point, depending on the brand and model, it might not broadcast the wireless signal as far or as consistent as you might think it should. I have an older iBook and I have tested it on many wireless access points at many different distances.

14. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Well, just now when I was playing around with my PC and mac side by side, there were times when I had trouble accessing www.apple.com and www.macrumors.com on both my PC and on my mac. the PC seems a little faster, but maybe this is an issue with my ISP or DNS thing or whatever? heh, at any rate, i'm going to keep an eye out on this and call tech support tomorrow. If anyone has any other advice or suggestions, please let me know! And thanks to all of you for your help so far.

15. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Okay, sat down with the Mac and PC sidebyside, and here is what also happened...

www.oasisinet.com - the PC loaded the page pretty promptly, the Mac didn't load the page for at least 20 seconds. It looked like the Mac was disconnected from the net for the short time being.

This is frustrating.

16. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Loaded pretty much instantly for me.

17. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

It really sounds like a problem with your router. It loads fine for me.

18. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

But why would it work fine when loading for my PC?

19. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Now that's a good question. Maybe there's someone else who has the technical knowledge to pinpoint the problem...

20. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Routers like most hardware are specifically designed for PCs. Even my router isn't as Mac friendly as it should be but it serves me well enough so I have no need to get a different one. Assuming that you router is the problem, it is too bad it is causing page load delay problems. My router isn't that mean to my computers.

21. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

It took me about 7 seconds to load http://www.oasisinet.com/.

I had a problem yesterday with a router not letting a brand new Mac mini load web pages sporadically. The only solution was the reset the router to factory settings and then load the newest firmware. Then all problems were solved. (It was a netgear router)

22. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Mine is a Netgear router too. I wonder if a Netgear router is to blame for MUCKYFINGERS problem. If so this should be a sign for all Mac users to never buy a Netgear router.

23. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I have a d-link.

24. sebisworld macrumors 6502

I use Sfari at work, I just browser the web and whenever I find something interesting, I'll open in a tab so I can read it after I finished working. Safari gets unbearbly slow after like 30 tabs though.... it never displays a page before the loading is completly done. Very annoying. Thank god i have like 5 browsers.

25. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

the whole time i was reading the thread i wondereed if you had a dink.

d links are the one brand that i have seen that has had many problems with a mac. i'd try a different brand.

i have never had problems with a netgear or linksys