Slow (!!!) Word 2004 on iMac G5 2.1GHz with 1.5GB RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pdel, Sep 9, 2006.

1. pdel macrumors newbie

Help! I bought an iMac G5 (20-inch 2.1GHz) a couple months before Apple announced the Intel shift. I would nonetheless be very happy except that the main program I use is MS Word in Office 2004 Student/Teacher (I make heavy use of the built-in VBA programming language for work-related text parsing) and it is VERY slow to update the screen (20-inch) after certain types of edits (it's never a matter of "keeping up" with my typing, but rather things like find/replace, deleting row in table, etc.). Sometimes I wait literally for a second or more to see the result of an action, or the screen seems not to update unless I slightly move the mouse, seemingly "jogging" the computer into action. Needless to say, it is extremely irritating, particularly since I thought, mistakenly, that the problem would resolve when I upgraded RAM to 1.5 GB (Mac certified). I never had this problem with Office 98 on my old 233MHz G3. Is my computer actually defective, or is the problem with Word (does it not run fully native on G5?). Any light anyone knowledgable can shed would be most welcome, thanks...

2. fwhh macrumors regular

Try turning off the grammarchecking. This caused my Word to slow-down.

3. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I'm running word 2004 on my G4 1.67Ghz powerbook with 1.5GBs and never really experience any slowdown. It definitely isn't typical. My mother uses a 1.9Ghz G5 iMac (512 MB ram) with word 2004. I've never had any problems on it, nor have I ever heard my mother complain about it.

I recommend the usual repair permissions and a full reboot. If that doesn't help I'd remove office and reinstall it. Maybe its running into some corrupted files somewhere.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, office 2004 isn't universal yet, its powerpc style sure shows significant slow down on intel mac, you will have to wait for the universal update.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's problem. He's asking about Office (a PPC app) experiencing slow down on an iMac G5 (a PPC Mac). A Universal version of Office would have zero effect on the speed.

He's not using an Intel Mac, Office 2004 is running natively on his iMac G5 - that's the problem.

6. pdel thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the problem is on PPC Mac running PPC version of Office. And I've always had both "Check grammar as you type" and "Check spelling as you type" turned off in my setup...