Slowest eating of crisps ever...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Spanky Deluxe, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

About an hour ago I went downstairs and filled up a bowel with one pack of skips and two packs of french fries (crisps for you American folk, well if you don't have them over there). Its proving to be quite a struggle to eat them because I'm in bed and my girlfriend is sleeping and I can't crunch too loudly. I'm having to suck literally each and every one!

I know this will be of no interest to any of you but I felt the strange need to share my crisp eating experience!!

Spanky

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Sorry, I know it's just a typo, but when I read this I LMAO!!!! :D

As for the rest of your chip (we call them chips here) eating endeavour, good luck!

3. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Hey people house their snacks in different apparatuses. At least by storing them in his bowel's he saves himself the need to go through all that work digesting them....

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Hmm...what we call french fries in the U.S.A. are chips in the U.K. What we call chips here are crisps in the U.K. So, you're calling french fries chips. Now, I'm confused. :confused:

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Wake her up and she will destroy you and your crisps. Matter of fact she will turn you into crisp

Bless

6. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

It must the be Aussies' way of rebelling against the British rule or something.... :)

7. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Chip naming guide:

UK: hot chips = chips, cold chips = french fries, skips
    US: hot chips = french fries, cold chips = crisps
    Aus: hot chips = chips, fries, french fries, cold chips = chips
    NZ: chups :p

(I think this is correct)

Let's just all eat Pringles to save confusion.

8. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Yup. That about sums it up. Except it would be preceded by the dreaded "Are you getting crumbs in the bed?" Good for you, though, for sucking the crisps. Better to have a miserable eating experience and still get full than to have an angry woman and still be hungry.

Crisps in the bowels. Life on MR is OK. :D

9. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Got it in one!

Actually I think we just like to be confusing, even amongst ourselves. For example, in each state of Australia, spring onions as in these :
    [​IMG]
    are know as spring onions, green onions, shallots or scallions. :D

10. Aarow macrumors 6502a

I don't get that chart:confused:

I'm with you on just eating Pringles.

11. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Well, in the UK, hot chips are called "chips", in the US hot chips are called "french fries" etc

And don't let the NZ one confuse you, that's a cheap stab at their accents. ;)

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We don't call "cold chips" "crisps" in the US. Most commonly, "crisp" refers to a fruit dessert like apple crisp. Some companies have come out with chips called "crisps" in an attempt to portray them as healthier than "chips." Crisps are generally baked instead of fried, but the term "crisps" is almost never used in the vernacular when referring to snack foods of any sort in the US.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Here in Australia:

French Fries = skinny potato strips deep fried. You can only get fries at fast food places.

Chips =

1. Thick strips of potato deep fried, much better than french fries. Served at fish and chip/charcoal chicken places.

2. Thin slices of potato deep fried and served in foil bags under the name "Smiths" or "Lays"

Oddly, Aussies never, ever get the two types of "chips" confused, when somebody says "do you want chips" we always know whether they mean chips or chips.

Wedges: Thick wedges of potato, often coated in spices, deep fried and served with sour cream and sweet chili sauce.

Chups:

Chips in New Zealand, often found served with "fush."

14. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Thanks for clearing that up, I think I was getting a little confused myself.

I totally agree, I think it's just the vibe...

I wasn't aware of this. It just seems that in all the American movies etc, they are referred to as "crisps". So you just call them chips as well then?

15. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

haha this is probably the most pointless thread.

still sucking?

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Ahh that don't sound right....nope not at all:eek:

Bless

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've never heard anyone in the U.S.A. use the word crisps concerning potato snacks. Who knows? That's why I'm confused. People here say Potato Chips.

Besides, in Australia, I thought they were cheeps that are served with feesh.

18. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I've never heard them referred to as "crisps" in an American movie. Then again, chips (or whatever they're called in your country of choice) aren't often mentioned in movies.

Always "chips" or "potato chips"...some examples below.

Attached Files:

19. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

I *think* spanky deluxe would be referring to the cold foil-bagged French Fries (marketed by Walkers - which I believe is a subsidiary of Lays). The Skips had me stumped for a while. They are flavoured corn chips. See pics.

Chundles is quite correct about the chups. Usually served with fush, in quantities of sux (if you are in a crowd). Not to be confused with Chuppies (NZ), which are the same as Crisps (UK) and Chips [2] (Aussie) but not Chips [1] (Aussie).

Anyway. Pictures of French Fries and Skips packets ...

Attached Files:

20. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Of course the problem with - sucking - this stuff is that all the salt gets dissolved in your mouth, so that after THREE packets spanky will no doubt be feeling a bit thirsty. Which means he would have had to risk disturbing his girlfriend while he went to get something to stop his mouth being as dry as a dead dingo's.

21. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

Good points. Any sucking update Spanky? :p

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Thanks.

The French Fries are more like our Potato Sticks, as you'll see here [​IMG]

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

"French Fries" are sold in foil bags as well, much like potato chips/crisps are. You can get them in a pack in some places. That's probably what the original poster is referring to. ;)

Okay, as the Canadian who has lived in the UK and Australia, and has been to NZ, I'll translate. :p

CANADA (and US):

Chips = potato chips. Think "Pringles" but generally more oily. They're usually flat and round-ish.
    French Fries = thin strips of potato that are deep fried.

UK:

Chips = Thick strips of potato....deep fried.
    French Fries = Very much like "chips," but much thinner/skinnier, sorta like the stuff you get at McDonalds.
    Crisps = In the US, they're "potato chips" --- thin, flat, crispy.

Australia:

Chips = Thick strips of potato.....usually deep fried.
    Chips = In the US, they'd be called "potato chips." In the UK, they'd be called "crisps."
    French Fries = Thin strips of potato, the same stuff you get at places like McDonalds.

New Zealand:

Fush = "Fish"
    Chups = "Chips", or thick strips of potato, deep fried.

24. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Er these are names for different types of onions. It's mainly foodie type people who know the differences.

xoxo RedTomato

25. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Why don't you just eat the crisps in a different room? Or put earmuffs over your girlfriends head?

You're only going to get crumbs in your bed anyway.