Slowest TINKER on G4

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by arogge, Jul 9, 2005.

1. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Protein: p1155_L939_K12M_298K_DT_250ps_clones
    Run: 46 (Clone 203, Gen 0)
    Frames Completed: 0, Remaining: 400
    Dynamic steps required: 5000000

This work unit was choking the PowerMac G4, which was doing one frame per hour. It would take the Mac seventeen days to finish the unit. How does a G4 user tell the Folding server to not send TINKER units to G4 CPUs? Waiting three weeks for a result, when an x86 system could have the unit done in a few days, is inefficient.

"Seventeen days? Hey, man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen hours. Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before, and they're gonna come in here and they're gonna come in here and they're gonna kill us!" -Private Hudson

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

My computer was being VERY slow for a few frames one time. To the point where it said the WU would be done in APRIL OF NEXT YEAR. But after a day or two it went down to a reasonable time.

3. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

I'm running the exact same WU on my G3 (now with a Sonnet G4-500 CPU installed) and I'm at 2.5% with 12 days left. Friday it said 1.8% with 22 days left. Go figure. I just let it do it's thing and wait for the next one.

I have Increase v2.0 running and I know in the preferences you can limit the size of the work units you allow your CPU to download. I chose "no preference" as opposed to "standard" and "no deadlines". As a result I get these 200+ point Gromaks and Tinkers but also get a few 35-60 point 2 day wonders.

I have been folding since April of 2003 on my "G4" and a few weeks ago added 2 machines at work a G4-800 and our new DELL we use for PC based work (I'm a Graphics professional). I have now seen my "Status" on the team 3446 list go up to #259 right now and rising. I can't wait to ad the other new DELL we just got and I'm waiting arrival of a new G5 Dual :rolleyes:

Fold on

4. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

you could prob delete the queue, cores, and the work folder

in which case it should DL a new WU. if it gives you the same one try again