Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MXDT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
My iBook 900mhz G3 has been beach balling for every app recently(and i hear it accesing the HD more often). I ran Xbench and noticed that the HD scores are drastically slower than the last time i ran Xbench a year ago. HD memory score dropped from a 50 to a 39.

Is this to do with the 10.3.8 update?

Is this the sign a of a failing/slowing HD? :confused:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
MXDT said:
My iBook 900mhz G3 has been beach balling for every app recently(and i hear it accesing the HD more often). I ran Xbench and noticed that the HD scores are drastically slower than the last time i ran Xbench a year ago. HD memory score dropped from a 50 to a 39.

Is this to do with the 10.3.8 update?

Is this the sign a of a failing/slowing HD? :confused:
Launch Disk Utilities and run Disk First Aid.

Get MacJanitor or Onyx and run the cron daily, weekly, and monthly tasks. Also run prebinding.

Restart your computer in single-user mode by holding down [Apple]- during restart. At the command prompt, type fsck -f for File System Check. When you get back the command prompt, type exit.

If none of none of this works, then shut down your computer and replace the hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.