slowness

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by airkarol, Apr 28, 2006.

1. airkarol macrumors 6502

since a few days ago, my mbp (2ghz) has been running a little slow, the hard drive still has 64.85 gb left (the partition is 80) and has a gig of ram

i havnt put puch on the computer, just photoshop, adium, m0audio drivers and bittorrent, and performed all the apple software updates?

any ideas??

thanks

2. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Run Activity Monitor and see if any specific process is eating the CPU power.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Try running Activity Monitor to see if there is a process you don't know about taking up a large amount of CPU time. I've had that happen a couple of times (Menu Meters is great at helping you catch stuff like this).

Best wishes.

5. airkarol thread starter macrumors 6502

its been running slow all the time.configd, kernel task, and windowserver are at the top of the list.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If you go into System Preferences...->Accounts, add a new test account, and then log off your main account and into that one, do you still see the slowness? If so, it's something more insidious. If not, it's more easily fixed.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What are their figures? What sort of CPU/RAM are they using? :)

8. airkarol thread starter macrumors 6502

kernal is 15.40 @ cpu and 83.51mb ram

right now safari is up to 31.80%cpu and 74.13 ram

window server = 2.69% cpu, and config d is at 0% now

9. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

My guess is a process out of hand... occasionally I have a printer monitor running I dont know about which totally kills my iBook, so in Activity Monitor I quit the application and everything is great.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Wow. They're quite high. What are you doing at the moment? What have you got plugged in? Are you visiting sites with a lot of Flash animation?

11. airkarol thread starter macrumors 6502

in safari, i have 2 macrumors tabs open, and external hd with 2 partitions is plugged in, a 2nd display, keyboard/mouse combo, power adapter, m-audio firewire 1814

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't know why Safari is so high, but one-by-one, unplug your peripherals. I'd start with the hard drive. :)

13. airkarol thread starter macrumors 6502

no change, but systemuiservices just spekied up for about 10 seconds.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is that with all peripherals unplugged, or just the hard drive? :)

Also, have you tried jsw's idea of making a new user account to see if the problems carry over?

15. airkarol thread starter macrumors 6502

i still have to try that, and yes, everything was unplugged.

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well create a new account. It's an excellent way of checking whether this is a user preference problem or not. My guess is it'll probably still be slow in the new account though. Hopefully not. :)

17. airkarol thread starter macrumors 6502

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Excellent. This means that at the worst, you can just transfer everything over to the new account.

Alternatively, we can try to find the problem with your first account. Do you have any add-ons for Safari? That seems to be the best place to start looking. :)

19. airkarol thread starter macrumors 6502

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well I can't really help more than saying either transfer your files over to the new account or have a look through the different apps you've installed on this old account to see if there's anything suspicious. In particular, check out your Login Items in the System Preferences.

Also, since Safari was one of the culprit, try dragging a file named com.apple.Safari.plist to the Desktop on your old account whilst Safari is closed. Does this help a little?

21. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Try reseting safari from the menu bar under the menu titled "Safari" - but beware that you will lose EVERYTHING you currently have setup in safari, I believe this includes your bookmarks, so back that info up first if you want to save it.

22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Resetting Safari doesn't lose your bookmarks. It removes caches, cookies and autofill entries though. :)

23. airkarol thread starter macrumors 6502

is reseting safari the same as dragging com.apple.safari.plist to the desktop?

24. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No - resetting Safari does a lot more. Have you tried rebooting first just to make sure that doesn't fix it?

Also, if you reboot or log off/in and not start Safari, do you see the same issues (aside from Safari)? Or does it seem to just be Safari?

And... does this happen if you never open Dashboard? Some widgets are PowerPC ones and will eat up lots of CPU/RAM. if you don't open the Dashboard after logging in, they won't start.

Finally, if you go to System Preferences...->Accounts, pick your account, and look at Login items, is there anything unusual listed there?

25. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, they do different things. Resetting Safari effectively cleans out the temporary files whereas removing the PLIST file resets all the customisations a user has made to Safari back to their defaults. By customisations, I basically mean anything you can change in the Safari Preferences. :)