Slows down

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jes13, Apr 22, 2003.

1. jes13 macrumors member

I should have left well enough alone - Yes <sigh> updated the Safari (what else?) - it's 'supposed' to load faster - I find it slower. Is there anyway to UNDO installs without having to re-format it all??? (I'm a switcher - only on this Mac 3 months). Thanks!

P.S. STILL not 'sorry' I went to Mac - ooohhh yeah - - - another question

:confused: I just received a CD from my son - his wedding pictures - but they are Windows format - guess I have to go to a friend's home to 'view' it? It won't load - says I don't have 'write access' whatever that means :-(....

2. Lz0 macrumors regular

3. jes13 thread starter macrumors member

Slows down

(ooops - posted the other as 'new')

YES LZO - it's a 'r' G4 Power Mac! Just bought it in January!

4. Zeke macrumors 6502

I updated Safari and am happy with the increased compatibility and speed seems fine to me. Maybe it is still slower than Camino but...I have no complaints. As far as the image cd goes, you may be trying to edit the pictures on the cd (only reason a write error would come up). Compatibility isn't an issue, I've opened windows files of all types (except for .avi some of which have x86 only code in them!?!). Try copying the files from the cd to a folder on your hd. Then open them. There's absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to view them (as long as you have a program that will open that file format, not sure what it is you have). Good luck.

Zeke Smith

5. Lz0 macrumors regular

OK OK keep the hair piece on.

Write access ... humm sounds like a badly burnt ISO disc, try copying all of the files from the CD to your HD first.

Image files are not OS specific, a TIFF is a TIFF no matter if you use a Win box or not. Same goes for JPG, GIF ect.

Having said that there is at least one Win image file that can cause some issues (.wmf from memory) its the file type Office uses to store clip art.

Get a copy of Graphic Converter (probably came with your Mac, it will open everything.

And as for Safari I'm finding it fantastic.

6. jes13 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Dear Zeke, & LZO,

"Copy" from the disk? I'll try it - see if that works (thou I'm not sure if it will!)... Thanks for the suggestion - if it doesn't work guess I can just 'delete' it <g>...

7. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

The new safari is blindingly SLOW..

dont sweat it..

Its a slow and bad release...
    A well known fact ..
    even hyperlinks dont load some times.

If a hyper link doesnt load then thats a BAD release!

I have been trying to find an older version of safari to DL, to replace the newer beta but havent found it yet.

ANyone have a URL?

8. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Re: Thanks

Without trying to sound rude....

Are you even sure you know what you are doing?

9. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Re: Re: Thanks

Best way not to sound rude is to refrain from making such comments.

10. jes13 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

Trying again here - Thanks Lzo - tried it, won't work - I'll see my friend with them :-( (pictures I mean)

Grokgod - 'now I don't feel sooo bad' - guess it's not something (wrong) "I" did!

And Kyle NO - - - LOL, that's why I wrote!

P.s. Darn it the links ARE really slow - or won't 'work' at all - 3rd try here to answer you!