sluggish macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by danerh, Dec 5, 2006.

1. danerh macrumors member

Hi, I've just recently bought a macbook pro, and all was working perfectly. however now, while most things run smoothly, certain applications are running slow. excel in particular. what can i do to get this thing back up to its former glory of last week.
    Any tips welcome.
    Regards,
    Dane.

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i think Excel will run slower than other apps because it is not a Universal app and will be running through Rosetta. the only ways i know to improve this is to make sure no other programs are running while you're using Excel (so that Excel can use all the RAM possible) or buy more RAM.

3. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

5. danerh thread starter macrumors member

I've got 1GB of ram, and i don't reboot every day, but maybe once every 2 or 3 days. It has been rebooted serveral times today though, and several more since the start of the week though. I've been having a look at activity monitor, and its not chewing up an incredible amount of ram or anything, and then it slows down, and then will say its not responding for a while, then crawl along again.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Does it come back up to normal performance for awhile after a reboot?

7. danerh thread starter macrumors member

No it hasnt been. i have ended up installing the windows version and am using the free cross over for mac emulator. not really desirable but i need excel for work. I think i'll take it to one of those mac genius bar guys and see what the problem may be. but still...any tips more than welcome!
    Thanks.
    Dane.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If the issue is limited to Excel, then it may be Excel or Excel/Rosetta specific.