Sluggish Start Up.....

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by G5orbust, Oct 3, 2002.

1. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Hey guys,

I just recently started getting start ups that take about 2-3x as long to start up as it did before. I hadn't changed OSes (it was fine under 10.2.1, then it wasnt). I think its just bothersome to have to wait a few minutes for start up. Can anyone help me?

O and my HD isnt full, if that is what your thinking of.

And i do not own any norton utilities either, so if i have a drive frag problem, tell me where i can get that corrected through eitehr free software, apple software or the software that came w/ my apple care (tech tool deluxe).

O and it stays at the grey screen taht comes before the main, blue load screen.

Thanks for the help.

2. mmcneil macrumors regular

Disk First Aid & Permissions

Try running Disk First Aid and do both functions:
    1) Repair the Drive
    2) Repair the Permissions

It should be in Applications->Utilities

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Disk First Aid & Permissions

I was going to suggest this. :)

4. mmcneil macrumors regular

Re: Re: Disk First Aid & Permissions

Is that how you got to 500 posts so fast :D :p ;)

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Re: Disk First Aid & Permissions

Umm no but this is. Replying to peoples stupid comments. Oh, by the way, way to rack up another useless post yourself.

I was simply reinforcing what someone else had said to make the person asking the question feel more sure of it.

Somehow spending somewhere around 4 or 5 hours here on average a day did it.

6. mmcneil macrumors regular

Not so serious!!

I was having a little fun :D

Your interest is applauded:D

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Not so serious!!

Not serious I was just flinging it back at ya with a little explanation I guess I forgot the smileys. :D

Attached Files:

8. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

there also might be some AppleCare documents that deal with slow start-ups. worth checking out.

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Well congrats guys, you just racked up 3 posts each... :rolleyes:

Have you installed any new hardware? After I installed an ATA/100 controller card, my startup stalls for up to an additional minute. Have you booted up with verbose logging? Perhaps it's hanging on a .kext or something.

10. mmcneil macrumors regular

I'll be at 500 before you know it;)

More importantly, speaking of .kext - I have one symfs.kext that seems unhappy with Jaguar (actually the reverse) - every startup I get three - four messages saying symfs.kext is a security problem with the option to fix, use, don't use. I've tried both fix & use with no apparent affect. I'm pretty sure it is a component of Symantec SystemWorks - any ideas? I run LiveUpdate regularly and it claims everything is up to date.:confused:

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Do you have appleshare or any networking function turned on? OSX goes out and looks for networks first thing and it slows the startup down big time if you're not actually conected to anything. Also make sure you have your startup disc selected.

12. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

And well you deserve it, you've been around here longer than me! :)

What version of SystemWorks are you running? 1.0 or 2.0? I've been running SystemWorks 1.0 with AntiVirus and LiveUpdate for X with no problems. I think it might have given me that security notice once after I updated to Jaguar, but I chose "fix and use" and didn't have any further problems.

13. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

There is a possibility that if you have more than one system folder on your boot drive....that the system takes longer to find the proper system folder to boot from.

I dunno if this even makes a difference...but with me...once i trashed my 9 folder and my 10.1 folder...and repaired my disk permissions...and defraged....my start up flies.

For defragging i suggest DiskWarrior 3 or Drive 10.1.2 I use Drive.

14. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

can anyone tell me how to do all this stuff with the programs i have on hand?

15. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Your best bets are to a) open the system preferences and go to start up disc and make sure you have your startup folder selected. Then restart the computer using your 10.2 installation disc. When it comes up with the installation screen go to file at the top of the screen and open disc utility. When this comes up choose fix permissions and then repair disc. Then restart your computer while holding the mouse button to eject the disc and see if this has fixed your problems if not I will give you another task.

16. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

ok but dont lose interest in this thread jsut yet, i dont have time at the moment to do that kind of work on my comp. I will inform you when i do the work tho...

17. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I don't know if anyone has suggested this but maybe optimize your computer using a prog like Xoptimize.

18. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I check this thread anytime there is a new post to it.

ScemO

He's trying to fix the problem without having to buy new programs. So he's trying to do it with what Apple ships with so I'm sending him through my general routine to fix problems.

Besides Xoptimize is just a prebinder 10.2 does that routinely when programs and updates are installed all it's own. There is no longer a need for a prebinder in X.