SLUGGISH TIGER??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by like a snowball, Sep 7, 2005.

1. like a snowball macrumors newbie

hello!!

i am running osX tiger on a dual g5, and when i got the computer it was super fast. nothing ever crashed, it would start up from off to ready to go in ten seconds. i was in love.

now it takes a very long time to start up. safari crashes all the time. photoshop runs super slow. im sure i have done something stupid to mess it up, but i cant figure how to cleanse my comp!!!!

before i made the switch i would run adaware, i would go to start-run-msconfig and get rid of startup items that i dont know or dont need. now that i am on a mac, i dont know these little tricks.

can anyone give me some advise? thanks a whole bunch!!!!

2. Jopling macrumors 6502

Disk Utility, make sure all your ram is being recognized and make sure you have 5+ gigs on your hd. I've had my computer use 8 gigs of virtual memory on my HD.

3. like a snowball thread starter macrumors newbie

where do you set the virtual memory? is there a program i can run to scan my computer for bugs or uneccesary things tying my comp up?

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Activity Monitor will tell you most of what's going on and which processes that use the most resources.

But, as Jopling said, be sure to have enough space left on your HD, and remember Dashboard widgets eat a lot of recourses, even when Dashboard is hidden, as described in How to make Tiger more responsive.

5. like a snowball thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you very much!!!!!

6. prophet621 macrumors member

I'm having issues with my ibook with 1.5 gigs memory as well. It's only two or three weeks old and I have more problems with it than I expected. Sometimes when I go to discussion boards and I'm typing the post the letters show up about 4 words after I type them.

My wife likes to play a few freeware games she downloaded from the Apple site and they no longer work properly.

Opening Photoshop takes forever and even doing something simple like crop a photo from my camera takes a good 30 seconds.

The whole system is just sluggish. I am very disapointed and feel like I basically threw away $1400. I still spend a majority of my time on my PC desktop or laptop. I was very excited to get my first mac and even started to believe people when they all say that I will love it. Truth is, I just don't like it but I'm not giving up. I just need to find a way to make it more responsive and find software I like. Those are the biggest issues.

I've followed the suggestions from the link provided and it doesn't seem to help. I have the 60 gig HD (55 actual) and only 22 is used so there is plenty of VM.

7. muzikool macrumors member

Activity Monitor is OS X's equivalent of Task Manager in Windows. It's located in Applications\Utilities.

@prophet621 - I'm sorry that you're frustrated with you Mac right now. I switched from Windows a year ago and I've never regretted it, so hang in there and hopefully everything will get worked out. :)

Have you checked Activity Monitor to see if anything is hogging your processor or memory? You might need to change the view of the processes to see everything that is running, not just what you are running as the user.

Everyone always suggests repairing permissions as if it's some type of magic fix for everything. It doesn't fix everything, but it is recommended after each application install or system update. Go ahead and run Disk Utility and repair permissions just to be sure.

8. cube macrumors G4

Since I upgraded to Tiger it's unbearable to browse while I watch TV.

9. prophet621 macrumors member

I think I'm just going to re-install and see if it helps. This is getting rediculous, I have to restart at least once a day because it becomes completely unusable. It really gets sluggish and unresponsive.

I don't even need to restart Windows daily, I certainly shouldn't need to with OSx.

10. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Before you do that, try doing these...

Open disk utility (located into Applications/Utilities) and repair permissions. Things should get improved that way. If that fails, then you should update prebindings and clear all cashes.

I won't bother yoou explaining how you do that using the terminal, because it is complex. So, I will point you out to downloading System Opimizer, which will do all these things for you.

After that, If you don't see any improvement, then I really don't know what to say. Try opening activity monitor and see what application or process it drawing resources from your system.

NOTE: Are you using Tiger's latest version? If not, then do so! Also, were you using panther in the past? Is yes, how did you upgrade? (it makes a big difference if you didn't do a clean install).Finally, this slowdown happens when you have a certain application open (ex. azureus?)?