Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssj300

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
so i heard that the phone is locked to cingular sim cards only

is that true?

anyone tried tmobile sim card? or anything else

themacman

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
kc
Benjamindaines said:
That's how all these "cool" phones start out. Then eventually other companies get the phones too. Also you can have the phone unlocked for an extra fee, then you can use the phone on any service (except Verizon)
even sprint? i thought they didnt use sim cards

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Benjamindaines said:
I don't know anything about them but if they don't use SIM cards then you can't use the phone until they start offering it.

Sprint doesn't use GSM. They use CDMA. So no SIM card. But the phones are still locked. Not to mention that no one else uses Sprint-compatible handsets in the US anyway.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Benjamindaines said:
Well, technically you already do. Sprint and Nextel are the same company now.

So is the technical merger complete? Did all the Nextel customers end up getting new handsets or something? There still seems to be a separate Nextel section of the combined store.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
ssj300 said:
so i heard that the phone is locked to cingular sim cards only

is that true?

anyone tried tmobile sim card? or anything else

if you buy the phone from cingular, yes, it's locked and can only be used with a cingular sim card. but there are unlocked and unbranded versions out there - i bought one and it worked just find with my at&t sim card (before i switched to a cingular plan). i have yet to try it with my new cingular sim card but it should work without any problems.

i now have 2 slvrs - the unlocked one i bought first and another one i got through cingular. i'm going to keep the locked cingular one, and sell the unlocked one on ebay (the cingular one has itunes, and accessing some of the cingular features is easier than on the unlocked version...

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
mkrishnan said:
Did all the Nextel customers end up getting new handsets or something?
I still have my bright yellow bouncy Nextel phone and it still works...

ssj300

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
r6girl said:
if you buy the phone from cingular, yes, it's locked and can only be used with a cingular sim card. but there are unlocked and unbranded versions out there - i bought one and it worked just find with my at&t sim card (before i switched to a cingular plan). i have yet to try it with my new cingular sim card but it should work without any problems.

i now have 2 slvrs - the unlocked one i bought first and another one i got through cingular. i'm going to keep the locked cingular one, and sell the unlocked one on ebay (the cingular one has itunes, and accessing some of the cingular features is easier than on the unlocked version...

what type of cingular features r u talkin about?

i found some websites tat sell unlocked versions of the cingular slvr. could these "features" be accessable even with a t mobile sim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.