Smajmonkies! 360 hacked

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This week i was just saying to some friends at work that they won't crack the 360 until 2007....oh well i lost:) which is still good for me.

Bless

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Kinda old, but it's annoying that they haven't released details :(

4. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I agree, I hope they release some info about the hack.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I believe I read where these guys said they would NOT release the hack. They just wanted to see if they could do it, and they did.

I hope Microsoft takes a strong stand against 360 modding. If you mod your 360, you should not be allowed to sign on to Xbox Live... period. Modders and cheaters ruined the original Xbox, especially in Halo 2.

6. mkaake macrumors 65816

I haven't played on live before, so I'm fairly ignorant - what effect did modders have on H2?

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

They were able to hack the Halo 2 maps and then force the game to play using the maps stored on their Xbox hard drives. The host of a Halo 2 game sets the "rules" by the game, so they just had to make sure they hosted any game in which they played. By doing this, they were able to change the behavior of the game; for example, one team's players would move 100 times faster than normal, or Warthogs could fly (literally) across an entire map. They were cheating, basically.

I know some people will say "Well, it's just a game", but it completely sucks the fun out of the experience (not to mention completely wasting your precious time) when some punk-ass little script kiddie "l337" wannabe is playing on hacked hardware or software and ruining the game for everyone else, just so he can bolster his rank.

Personally, I'd like to see cheaters (and modders who use mods to screw with other gamers) receive the following punishment: Their console will be ground into fine powder and added to water, and then they're required to drink it... all of it. :) I'd also like to see "M" game ratings actually enforced... there's no reason for some 10 year old kid to be playing Halo 2 or any other M-rated game.

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I second that! On the other end... how can they *really* enforce M ratings? Dad buys the game, they play it...

9. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

That is the exact reason I do not play online games. I go on to have a good time and I end up finding people that are on there to compensate for their phallic lackings.

The one, and only, game I played online was NCAA Football 2005. Granted, I was not the greatest player on Earth but by no means was I bad enough to get beat 77-0...on the Beginner level. Then when I called out the "sharks" and "hustlers", all I got was a "Damn, you just suck. You need to get better. Quit coming on here and whining about how you are getting cheated and just get better." So I stopped playing online. Being a patsy to stroke other people's egos is not my idea of a good time.

10. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Well, most of this was actually do to SOFTMODDING the boxes with the buffer overflow exploit. Those who had hardware mods could easily turn of the mod chip and go back to the original xbox dashboard and settings and play legit games, like I did.

I agree that mods suck, and MS does little to enforce it. I could have easily been at least a rank 40 in Halo, but do to getting ****ed over by softmodders, I lost all my ranks until I was like a 27 or something. MS should ahve banned Softmodders Xboxes from EVER accessing Live again. I have heard of a few instances (one of my friends, actually), but those were far and few between.

I even warned my friend "Mod me in any ranked match and I will blow up your car, **** your girlfriend and burn your house down." He never did... ;)

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Maybe I modded too soon, but when my xbox was chipped one of the rules was "you cannot go online with this". Well through Xbox Live. Xlink Kai was perfectly alright.

12. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

:mad: Making you unable to leave a small square of the map :mad: (had a recent experience with a modder)

Cheaters, yes. Some modders, no. Ever seen Halo 2: Combat Evolved? It's Halo 2, but with all the stuff that they lost from Halo 1. I think that it's better in some ways. However, it doesn't do Live, so...

13. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

They be n00bs. T_T

I modded my Xbox, but when I play Halo 2 on XBConnect, I dont cheat at all. It ruins the sport of the game. Even though I get my butt fried everytime. x.x

14. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Yes, but depending on when you modded your Xbox and what modchip you used, MS was able to ban users who never went online w/ their chips enabled; they saw the changes even with the chip disabled. (I've no idea how.)

I was an Xbox Live beta tester and had a launch day Xbox; the Halo 2 "hack catcher" missed me. I was still able to play online post-Halo 2 with my modchip off without any problems.

15. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Yeah, the thing is there was a certain point where they took information from your Xbox which married the HD and Motherboard (and eeprom number) from your Xbox. Then the update just before Halo 2 was released did it again, and if either the MB or Hard drive did not match, they banned the eeprom number from your Xbox to forbid it on Live.