small biz networking question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by zimv20, Mar 4, 2003.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i work for a small company that is moving next week. sadly, it looks like our internet provider will be late w/ the dsl hookup.

the company upstairs from us has dsl through another vendor and will likely let us use it if we ask.

i'm considering my options for hooking into it. i've got a linksys router and a hub at my disposal (it's a PC network, btw :-(

should i:

1. simply run one ethernet cable from our hub to their router (and not use the linksys router), or

2. run a cable from the linksys router to their router and set that up?

i'm not a networking guy and don't know what each of those would entail. if it matters, the linksys router does _not_ have enough ports to support the company, so i'd have to plug our hub into that. i seem to remember that not working so well in my house, though i never figured out why.

will either work? anyone have any suggestions? this is a temporary sol'n until our isp comes through w/ our own dsl (couple of days, probably).

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I think that it would be easiest to just run a cable to their router. It shouldn't require any major changes.

How friendly are you with this company? You might want to limit DSL access to the necessities or when they are not using it.

Because we run an isolated Mac loop and a few PC loops, we periodically have to futz with out LynkSys router settings. I wasn't aware of this until we had problems with our firewall, or lack there of. Check out Lynksys.com's website on how to enter the (look for the model #) router to change information. Sometimes certain sites require that the router have some of its restrictions or settings changed. It's not hard, but for some reason, our PC's require happen more often. Also, think about security. Are you running any VPNs? Just some things to think about.

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

specifically.... you mean hook our hub to their router and plug in our 8 machines to our hub?

this will be my first solution and i'm hoping that it works just like that (w/ their router/server doing dhcp duty).

nuts to security. (lol) it's us using their dsl connection, and just for a couple days until our isp can get their loop installed and get us access. no, we're not running a vpn.

4. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

You should be fine plugging the hub directly into their router, if they let you, and if you are not worried about their employees snooping around your network while you are sharing. Otherwise, it is a little difficult to get a router to work behind another router and I personally don't reccomend it.

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

good to know, thanks. our networks are password-protected, so i'm not too concerned about snooping.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

success

though they aren't running a dhcp server (sigh). i hardcoded our ip addresses and their gateway, and we're good to go.

thanks for help everyone.