Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jan08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
Wakefield, England
I've had my MBP about a month, but yesterday I noticed a very small, but noticible, bubble on the trackpad. Has anyone heard of anything similar? I don't ant to call Apple and send it back if there is no need. I've looked very closely, as I was concerned I had damaged it somehow, but it is certainly a "bubble" which I've never seen on any previous laptop I've owned

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Do you have a picture? ...It's probably just a small manufacturing flaw.

I'm guessing it isn't very noticeable if you've had it a month and just noticed it yesterday. ;)

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
it certainly is just a cosmetic problem, nothing too serious. probably happened when they paint the trackpad. you can use a needle to pierce it out. it won't affect the trackpad's performnce.
i had similar problem with my ipod wheel and that's exactly what i did

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
I noticed a very small, but noticible, bubble on the trackpad.

Sounds like your trackpad has acne. I remember puberty. Tough times.

Seriously though, it's your MBP so it's your call. I wouldn't worry about it though cus that will just make your trackpad get more spots.

Cheers, Tom

gmanrique

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
MacBook...

Well, I just received a new MacBook as a replacement of another one with two little 'grains' in the trackpad that were not noticeable, unless you were looking for them, but were very annoying when using the trackpad. It was like if my finger had something, or like if there were some salt or sand on the trackpad. Anyhow, it got replaced and the new one also has the grain, although it is just one. When looking at it closely, it looks like a little bit of metal or someting just coming out in the middle of the trackpad. That is why it is annoying, since it is the are most commonly used. Anyow, I though I was the only one with this but found this tread. Could you please describe your 'buble' just to see if we are talking about the same thing?

Thanks

theshibboleth

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2006
I also had an issue with bubbles in my MacBook'd trackpad, although mine seemed to be air bubbles or something rather than grain. Very annoying on my fingers--almost painful. I got that MacBook replaced (with some difficulty) but the new one also has a manufacturing defect, although of a more cosmetic nature. :(

herval

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
Got two VERY LARGE bubbles on my MBP trackpad today: they seem to have appeared during a flight (preasure drop, maybe?) and disappeared afterwards - but now, whenever I go to the System PReferences/Trackpad adjustments, the MBP keeps saying I don't have a trackpad installed (!?!).

Oh, and the thing was more than cosmetic: the trackpad basically stopped responding, during the flight, as if I had one finger on it all the time. If I swiped a finger on it (with Finder open), Finder would increase/decrease the size of the icons - the exact same behavior when you "pinch" with two fingers.

Isn't anyone else experiencing that kind of "manufacturing defect" :(

mlyons0978

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2008
I'm about to get my fourth MacBook...

My husband bought me a MacBook October 24 2008. When I opened it, it looked like it had been used (scratches on the exterior, info box crumpled etc.) so the next morning he took it to an Apple store and had it swapped out.

Within a week, I noticed a huge bubble in the middle of the trackpad. Went back to the Apple store and they swapped it out with very little to no problems.

So I'm on my third one and it hasn't been a month yet, and I have found yet another 'bubble' in the trackpad. Back to Apple I go..

It hasn't changed the performance much, every once in awhile the cursor trips out on me, but really and truly for the amount of money spent, I would like something that doesn't resemble a friggin bubble making machine at my daughter's birthday party..

Yevinn

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2008
Just noticed a Bubble on my trackpad

I bought my Macbook Pro in July and just noticed a small bubble on the track pad on the lower right side. It doesn't affect movement or anything but it is pretty annoying. So what are my options. I'm new to macs, and am wondering if I should take it to the apple store, but if they take it for repairs my laptop will be gone for awhile right? and they won't swap it out for a new one right? if they do do a swap out it'll be for a refurbished older macbook pro correct? any help would be appreciated. Also this just barely happened as i would have noticed it before

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
same here!

So, I just came over here to the forums to do a search.

Yesterday, ON A FLIGHT as others have noted, I saw a couple bubbles, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in diameter. They didn't SEEM to affect performance of the TB, but it does look like a paint bubble or something.

THIS AM, I can hardly notice them in the daylight, using the MBP 15" previous gen. What are they, and should one return the unit for repair?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.