Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMyDay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Cambridge, England
Hi there, folks

I need to grab some lovely new hardware to invest into my new small business of web development/design. For this, I'll be buying a few things, but mainly I'll need another computer that can run Virtual PC, purely for running Internet Explorer on it and I'll need a back-up server.

Thus, I have in my shopping basket, the iMac 17" 250GB HD, Airport + Bluetooth Keyboard + Mouse; Mac Mini + LaCie 500GB Triple Interface. I believe the latter 2 items will suffice, but the iMac seems to be coming to the end of its line and also, the main question for if I order it now, is it really powerful enough? Can anyone supply stats for how much RAM etc I'd require in order to run Windows on it, purely for IE 6.0.

Thanks for any information

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The LaCie is a lovely drive, but 500GB seems overkill. Web files just aren't that big. The iMac G5 has no Firewire 800 port so you will miss the benefit of the triple interface drive. The iMac is by far powerful enough for web creation. Why Airport? The machines are not portable.. Do you already have a wireless router? Wired networking is more reliable (and cheaper on routers).
What are you planning to do for the Mini Monitor & keyboard & Mouse?

Devil's advocate position: If you make sites professionally, you are obligated to test them on all major platforms and browsers. Don't use VPC for proofing websites. Get a basic $600 HP PC and a $175 17" CRT. That way you'll be sure to be seeing "the other side's view" complete with monitor gamma differences, loading times, etc.

MacMyDay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Cambridge, England
CanadaRAM said:
The LaCie is a lovely drive, but 500GB seems overkill. Web files just aren't that big. The iMac G5 has no Firewire 800 port so you will miss the benefit of the triple interface drive. The iMac is by far powerful enough for web creation. Why Airport? The machines are not portable.. Do you already have a wireless router? Wired networking is more reliable (and cheaper on routers).
What are you planning to do for the Mini Monitor & keyboard & Mouse?

Devil's advocate position: If you make sites professionally, you are obligated to test them on all major platforms and browsers. Don't use VPC for proofing websites. Get a basic $600 HP PC and a $175 17" CRT. That way you'll be sure to be seeing "the other side's view" complete with monitor gamma differences, loading times, etc.

Thanks for the info. I handle server-side code and all the programming aspect, so only need Windows to make sure the designers are doing their jobs when I'm lazing at home. It is part of their contract to test it, and they do have access to both Windows + Mac. Yet, you are right, it would mean I can never be sure. Hmm, decisions.
Also, there is 1 other piece of software I need to run on it, so need it anyway.

The Mac Mini is purely there for a server, so everything is backed-up onto it, and then the Lacie again via the wireless network, hence everything being wireless. I don't want wires everywhere, so feel that everything should be tidy.
I'm going into proper back-up system here, as the problems I've had before teaches me to back it up properly on at least 2 systems. 500GB is, perhaps, overkill, but Photoshop images at high detail, images etc and so on. I feel it's best to spend more money now rather then later on that factor. I feel you're right about the triple interface, but if the iMac is improving, or if the beloved PowerBook G5 comes sometime soon, then I'll at least have more speed. I'm currently writing this on a 12" PowerBook, that will be replaced when the G5 comes out, so there's my logic there.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
If the Mini is purely a fileserver, you could get a Network Attached Storage unit, either wired or wireless, with larger capacity and lower cost. Tritton, IOGear, LinkSys, Buffalo have them. If it is a web/application server then that's different

You can also throw a large IDE drive into a PC cheaply as the 2nd storage centre (which you can't with the iMac or Mini.

I'm still chary of wireless, especially for servers and backup. You're going to take a big hit on speed, have higher costs, and lower reliability.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
First of all, the iMac is way powerfull enough for your needs. Waiting for a rev? If you can wait, sure but let it not slow down your productivity! A 15% speed bump wont worth 2 months without a workstation system!

Btw, are you aware that the screen of the 20" is much better than the 17", it totaly worth the extra $ IMHO and the extra room is very usefull. And dont buy ram from Apple, the saving should go toward the 20" screen!

As for the server. If you need it to run something, the mac mini is a great candidate. If you only need file storage, network drive are good. Dont use any wireless crap for backup. Its too slow and losing connexion in the middle of a 2Gig image isnt fun... The good news, is that you can store the drive right next to your computer (let say under the desk) and use wireless networking for the internet connexion.

MacMyDay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Cambridge, England
Thanks for your input. I hadn't considered the 20", it seems almost too big. But, for resolutions it could be a benefit. I've got about £4000 to spend on this, and what I've mentioned doesn't come over £2300, so it's definitely an option.

Just as a question: recommended level of RAM?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
MacMyDay said:
Thanks for your input. I hadn't considered the 20", it seems almost too big. But, for resolutions it could be a benefit. I've got about £4000 to spend on this, and what I've mentioned doesn't come over £2300, so it's definitely an option.

Just as a question: recommended level of RAM?

Easy question: If you have the budget, 2 Gb. If you have to economize, just add one 1 Gb DIMM for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.