Small ethical dilemma

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by agent 86, May 14, 2006.

1. agent 86 macrumors member

I ordered & paid for a 1GB memory pack (2 x 512) for my 1.6Ghz G5 from online provider last week. Received them this morning & installed them. I was surprised to see my memory had been boosted to 3GB instead of the 2GB I was expecting. It turns out i was erroneously sent a 2GB pack.

Anyway, my dilemma is:
    a) should I just keep quiet about my supplier's mistake? :confused:

OR

b) should I stop wasting time on forums such as this at my employer's expense? :eek:

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If you feel guilty enough to ask us what to do, you are better off notifying the company that they made a mistake. Chances are they will let you keep it, and if not, you didn't loose anything.

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I'd call them. They may just say "crap.. our mistake.. just keep it" or they may ask you send it back.

KARMA.

If you don't send it back, you'll probably have that nagging guilt in the back of your head.. I know I would.

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Give them a call and let them know. Odds are they will just let you keep it. Otherwise make them pony up for the shipping both ways and get the new in hand before sending the old back.

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Yeah, just call/email them and they'll probably just let you keep it - less effort on their part that way.

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    BINGO! That right there is the smart thing to do. I'm with everyone else. They'll probably just let you keep it for your honesty. If not, well, that sucks, but at least you won't have this riding on your mind.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Why do you even need to ask this question? The right thing to do is to contact them and inform them of their mistake. As everyone else has said, they'll probably just let you keep it anyway. Honesty always pays off in the end, and it is the right thing to do.

It bothers me how often I encounter people who seem to be allergic to ethics, honesty, integrity and responsibility. :cool: (Oh, and I mean other people, that comment was not directed at you personally.)

8. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

You guys are nuts. Its their mistake, keep it. :rolleyes:

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Just because they made a mistake does not give him the right to take advantage of it. Do the right thing, tell them, and they'll probably let him keep it regardless - and then he will have handled things honestly and still end up ahead.

I once paid for a meal at a restaurant and gave the little book with the bill and cash in it to the waiter. Turns out I had a couple crisp new fiftys and they stuck together - he was only supposed to get one. He came back to my table, said, "Either you made a mistake or you gave me a very generous tip!" and explained what happened. I appreciated his honesty, and although I didn't let him keep the full $50 extra, I did give him an extra $20 on top of his already generous tip. I appreciated his honesty, and as I said above, I wish more people had integrity like that these days, and the courage to do what's right. Sad, really, to see how low people stoop sometimes... :(

Anyway, this specific instance is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things - however the principle is still there. :cool:

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I agree with the majority. Give the retailer a call and tell them they've made a mistake. It'll make you feel warm and fuzzy - better than a couple of gigs of free RAM ever could :p. Worst that could happen is they ask you to send it back. Best that could happen is that you get to keep it and get a warm fuzzy feeling.

11. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I'm totally with ~Shard~ on this one.

I always like hearing stories of people who have found large amounts of money somewhere, handed it into the police, and then get to keep it after a few months because no one has claimed it.

I don't even think the reward is that important. For example, a friend of mine at work accidentally gave a person $400 cash out, by incorrectly processing the transaction. Lucky for him that the lady noticed on the receipt and brought the money back. He probably wouldn't have a job if she hadn't done that. The lady could have been $400 better off, but she chose to do the right thing.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

And if they do, just ask them to pay for your shipping both ways. Then they'll probably realize it's too much hassle for them and not worth their time and effort to recover the RAM and ship out what you were supposed to receive in the first place.

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks max_altitude. The world needs more people like the lady in your story. :cool:

14. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I'm with everyone else here. It feels better to just be honest.

I remember once finding an envelope with $200 cash in it and a name and number on a piece of paper inside. I called the number met up with the guy and he gave me $50 for being honest about it.

15. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Well, glad to see that the majority of people here can make the correct decision!

One of the most enjoyable occasions where I can give money back to someone is a simple cash purchase. It just happened to me last week, when I bought some food and the person gave me too much change back. Not only does it make their job so much easier when counting the registers at the end of the day, but it makes you feel like you've made a difference (and done the right thing!).
    -Chasen

16. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Keep it. they messed up. I used to be a cashier and I would always get a kick when people would come running back in from the parking lot saying that I forgot to ring something up. It was always like well, you would have got away with it, why did you come back inside?

17. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I didn't hear anything...

did you hear anything?

*looks away*

18. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

my rule is... if you have to ask the question, you probably already know the answer. (on topics like this anyway)

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Because they are honest?

Lethal

20. agent 86 thread starter macrumors member

Ummm... no. That's why I asked it. Nicely Zen, though.

I emailed him & they're sending the correct modules & reimbursing me for the return postage.

Do I feel warm and fuzzy? Can't say I can feel much apart from how much faster my old G5 seemed with that extra memory installed. :(

OK, maybe a little bit :) .

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Maybe because it was the right thing to do? :rolleyes:

22. Queso macrumors G4

Well done you. Serious positivity points for your karma quotient. :)

23. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

So say what happened to ~Shard~ happens to you. The waiter should keep your $50 because it's your mistake? I just want to know if it's only ok when it's other peoples' money we're talking about or if your money/mistakes can be included in this philosophy.

24. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Another vote for honesty.

As many, many other people have written do the right thing. Call the company and let them know the error. It's likely they won't want to go through the hassle of an exchange simply b/c of the shipping costs+product testing+repackaging. Plus, you'll feel better. If it wasn't bugging you in the first place, you wouldn't have bothered with the post.

Oh dear, I'm standing paddle held high, and just realized...this horse is dead.

25. iGav macrumors G3

I'd probably keep it... I know, I know... I'm a bad, bad person. :p