Small External HDD suggestions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nitropowered, May 13, 2005.

1. nitropowered macrumors regular

Here's the quick and dirty. I need to buy an external HDD. Which form factor, 1.8" or 2.5", and which brand. I prefer Lacie but willing to buy something else and must have USB2 though I prefer usb2/fw drives

Here's the deal, I lost my 1GB flash drive. I was in a rush and forgot/assumed i had it plugged into a computer in my university's engineering computer lab. It was a PQI Intelligent stick drive (black and a size of a stamp, plugged into a black computer, go figure). I'm bummed out that I lost $80 and in search of a replacement.

I figured instead of paying another $80 for a gig flash drive, I could just get, for a little bit more, a small external HDD. I already have another flash drive (I'm one of those people that buys technology products when they are on huge sales even though I don't need it) so I don't need ultra portable storage.

I'm specifically looking at 1.8" and 2.5" form-factor external HDDs. I see that the 1.8" drives cost 2+ times the cost/gb as the 2.5" drives. Is the price worth the size? How durable are the 1.8" drives compared to a 2.5"

The specific models I am considering is the Iogear 1.8" 20gb drive, or a Lacie 40gb 2.5" drive. But honestly, I am looking for the best drive for the money in terms of speed, size, capacity, and durability (I've always bought Lacie, and they never fail. 90% of my Family's external drive purchases are Lacie) I'm leaning toward USB2 only because they are cheaper, and I work with a mixed environment of my 12"PB and the Mac's at home, and all the Pc's my friends have and the labs. I don't really see a point of paying extra if I'm only going to use USB, unless there is a huge speed difference (I've read that combo drives usually have worse performance, or maybe that was drives with both fw400 and fw800 and the lacking speed on the fw400 end).

Sorry for the long post.

2. mkubal macrumors 6502a

I replaced the HD in my Ti400 Powerbook a while back with a 7200 RPM drive. The old one was laying around so I threw it in a 2.5" external enclosure and now I've got a FW bus powered 10 gig external. It's quick and dirty, but it works like a charm. Have you considered throwing your own external together?

3. nitropowered thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have any 2.5" drives laying around I can use. I've got a bunch of old 3.5"s but they are really old and don't know how long they will last.

Plus I dont want a 3.5" form-factor, they are too big.

I also want my drive to be bus powered.

4. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I have a LaCie Mobile 40GB and i love it. It is really small, about 3"x5"x.5" and has been excellent. The metal case makes me feel better about throwing it in my backpack and hauling it everywhere. That's my two cents.

5. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I got an enclosure from ebay for about $10 (shipped). I will be upgrading the HD on my laptop to a 7200 one soon, I'll just put the old HD in that enclosure.

You can get a 2.5" 40GB 5400rpm drive from newegg for $72 and have a nice, portable external HD for less than $90.

6. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

You could ebay a cheap ipod... and get the same benefits of the small HD you need + music...

7. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

mini geee-drive

i personally really like the g-drive mini.

here is the link to their homepage. take a look. :)

8. nitropowered thread starter macrumors regular

I already have an ipod (if you see my sig). But its close to full.

The g-drive mini page says the Lacie drive is not made of aluminum? what is it made out of? Lacie or G-drive, they both look good and will match my pb